Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by rahul gundecha <ra...@yahoo.co.in> on 2007/09/09 14:50:18 UTC

[users@httpd] how to check caching is disabled?

Hi all,
How can I check whether caching is disabled on my machine or not?

thanks,
-Rahul

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] how to check caching is disabled?

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.
rahul gundecha wrote:
>thanks Joshua for helping, I really appreciate your instantaneous
>and correct solution.
>
>Just to point out confusion in the thread -
>
>first time you replied -
>"check for mod_cache, mod_file_cache, and similar modules. If they
>are turned off, then you don't likely have any caching going on."
>
>my reply -
>" There isn't any cache related entry in that file.
>So what's the default setting of apache server ?"
>I was expecting the answer that without doing anything apart from
>normal installation of apache server, will there be caching ? and how to find
>about it?
>
>your reply -
>"But in the default install you will not have any apache-level caching
>  if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled."
>now again we end up with same question, how do I know these things
>are disabled?
>
>that's why I asked again. And then I got the correct answer.
>
>" As long as mod_cache and mod_file_cache are not configured, there is no
>caching in a default install of apache."
>
>Anyways no hard feelings but just wanted to show lack of clarity in
>your answer.
>Thanks for helping me, I really bombarded you with series of
>questions, still you answered them promptly.

I disagree, I think Joshua's answers were clear and concise.

He said that if it is not configured then you do not have it enabled.
I don't think that is very difficult to understand though it does
assume an understanding of the httpd.conf file and configuration of
individual modules. However, even that is pretty basic stuff and
easily understood through a perusal of the Apache documentation
regarding modules.

Dragon

Re: [users@httpd] how to check caching is disabled?

Posted by rahul gundecha <ra...@yahoo.co.in>.
[...]

thanks & regards,
-Rahul

Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote: On 9/9/07, rahul gundecha  wrote:

> Joshua Slive  wrote:
>  On 9/9/07, rahul gundecha wrote:
> > thanks Joshua for replying.
> > As I was posting to Apache, I assumed implicit context is Apache.
> >
> > I seen apache documentation mod_cache, mod_file_cache and searched for
> those
> > entries in httpd.conf. There isn't any cache related entry in that file.
> So
> > what's the default setting of apache server ?
> > And is there any command or any other file through which I can see status
> of
> > the caching in apache server ?
>
> Apache is a modular server, and any module could conceivably do
> caching, so there is no single command that can answer that question.
> But in the default install you will not have any apache-level caching
> if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled.
>
> thanks to Joshua for replying
> my doubt is if  "There isn't any cache related entry in that file,  what's
> the default setting of apache server ? "
>  How to find if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled?
>
> Can I say that if there is no cache config entry, means there is no caching
> in Apache ?

I think I've already said this twice, but here goes a third time: As
long as mod_cache and mod_file_cache are not configured, there is no
caching in a default install of apache.

Joshua.

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] how to check caching is disabled?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by rahul gundecha <ra...@yahoo.co.in>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote: On 9/9/07, rahul gundecha  wrote:
> thanks Joshua for replying.
> As I was posting to Apache, I assumed implicit context is Apache.
>
> I seen apache documentation mod_cache, mod_file_cache and searched for those
> entries in httpd.conf. There isn't any cache related entry in that file. So
> what's the default setting of apache server ?
> And is there any command or any other file through which I can see status of
> the caching in apache server ?

Apache is a modular server, and any module could conceivably do
caching, so there is no single command that can answer that question.
But in the default install you will not have any apache-level caching
if mod_cache and mod_file_cache are both disabled.

thanks to Joshua for replying
my doubt is if  "There isn't any cache related entry in that file,  what's the default setting of apache server ? "

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by rahul gundecha <ra...@yahoo.co.in>.
thanks Joshua for replying.
As I was posting to Apache, I assumed implicit context is Apache.

I seen apache documentation mod_cache, mod_file_cache and searched for those entries in httpd.conf. There isn't any cache related entry in that file. So what's the default setting of apache server ?
And is there any command or any other file through which I can see status of the caching in apache server ?

thanks,
-Rahul

Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote: On 9/9/07, rahul gundecha  wrote:
> Hi all,
> How can I check whether caching is disabled on my machine or not?

That's a pretty vague question. Caching can happen at many different
levels for many different reasons. (Are you talking about your
processors memory cache? Disk cache? Browser cache?)

If you are talking specifically about caching within apache, check for
mod_cache, mod_file_cache, and similar modules. If they are turned
off, then you don't likely have any caching going on.

Joshua.

 Try the revolutionary next-gen Yahoo! Mail. Click here.

Re: [users@httpd] how to check caching is disabled?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.