Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net> on 2006/04/01 00:12:59 UTC

Re: svnadmin dump wrapper

Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
>>> I wanted to check here before I wrote something of my own, but is
>>> anyone aware of a wrapper or some other tool that encapsulates the
>>> functionality of "svnadmin dump" and preserves hooks?  I am going to
>>> be upgrading my server and want to rebuild the numerous repositories
>>> it hosts to take advantage of improvements on the server side, but
>>> it gets kind of tedious having to manually deal with each
>>> repository's hooks.
>>
>> hot-backp.py, I think. It's available in the contribs directory of
>> the Subversion repository.
>
> That appears to be for performing a hotcopy on BDB repositories.  As
> far I as understand, that is not the same thing as doing a repository
> dump.

It seems to have worked on an FSFS directory today.

Re: svnadmin dump wrapper

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
>> Well, you wanted to "encapuslate the functionality of svnadmin dump
>> and preserve hooks". A complete hot-backup, with the hooks and conf
>> files, integrated to another mirror directory seems just the thing.
>>
>> Do you want to have the svnadmin dump instead for editing reasons,
>> and a separate process for grabbing hooks and conf files?
>
> Well, I assumed that was the standard method for upgrading a
> repository from an "older" version of Subversion to a "newer" version
> of Subversion was to dump, create a new repository and then load. Does
> hotcopy do upgrades or does it just create a backup?

That question seems strange. It has to be the same version of Subversion, or
a similar one, in order to read the old repository. It then has to be a
newer version of Subversion to create it in the new format. For such a step,
I really think you need to use the "svnadmin dump" facility. Hooks and
configure scripts may not even be compatible between different versions of
subversion, although the authors have done a very good job of keeping them
consistent and flexible enough to be ported easily.

Re: svnadmin dump wrapper

Posted by Geoffrey Alan Washburn <ge...@cis.upenn.edu>.

Re: svnadmin dump wrapper

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.