Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org> on 2008/10/09 00:20:14 UTC

Custom Tag Libs

Can anyone point me to a source of information about how to build a
custom tag lib for Struts2?  Maybe it's a plugin?  I'm a little old
school and still learning.

Thanks!

move items between two listboxes and update DB ??

Posted by "A. Lotfi" <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
I want to create a jsp page that has users populated from a database, when I click in a user two listboxes appear:
  listAssignedRoles with assigned roles
listNoAssignedRoles the rest of roles not assigned yet

  These two lists are populated from a the database.
  I want when I move items between listboxes and hit submit button the database get updated too.
  Please your help is appreciated.
  thanks

"A. Lotfi" <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
  I did not start it yet, struts version is 1.2.8

thanks

Dave Newton wrote:
--- On Thu, 10/9/08, A. Lotfi wrote:
> a list of users when you click in a user it show two
> other lists :
> Roles assigned
> Roles notassigned
>
> so we can remove and assign roles to the current user

You should probably mention which version of Struts you're using.

How far have you gotten on your own? Do you have any specific questions?

Dave

Re: struts users assign remove roles

Posted by "A. Lotfi" <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "A. Lotfi" <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

  I need to create a web application that has a jsp page showing :
  a list of users when you click in a user it show two other lists :
  Roles assigned
  Roles notassigned

  so we can remove and assign roles to the current user (clicked on) ,

  Please any idea or a hint or an example on how to do it.

  thanks, your help is appreciated.

  Kaml.

Re: Custom Tag Libs

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I actually asked this question for a
fellow developer.  He's more of a JSP "guru", if you will, but Struts2
seems to handle taglibs differently.  So, it was a bit confusing to us
all.  I think he's found some kind of solution, but I will definitely
forward these responses on to him.  I'm not sure exactly what problem he
was trying to solve.  Sorry.  I appreciate all the feedback, though!

Dave

Re: Custom Tag Libs

Posted by "Alberto A. Flores" <aa...@gmail.com>.
I disagree about the difficulty level of writing your tag in Struts2.
However, I would strongly encourage you (as others have) to see if an
already existing tag doesn't fit your needs. I'm hoping to post something in
my blog about some of this soon, however it would be worthwhile to state
what you are trying to accomplish.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM, <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David --
>
> I would strongly discourage you from writing your own custom tags until you
> discover there is not already one "in the box!"  Besides Struts 2, you
> still
> have all the JSTL tags available as well.   If by "old school" you mean you
> haven't looked around the available tags today, your best bet would be to
> start looking.  Writing your own tags can be a pain in the rear.
>
> Scott
>
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM, David C. Hicks <dh...@i-hicks.org> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me to a source of information about how to build a
> custom
> > tag lib for Struts2?  Maybe it's a plugin?  I'm a little old school and
> > still learning.
> >
> > Thanks!

Alberto
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aflores

Re: Custom Tag Libs

Posted by st...@gmail.com.

Re: Custom Tag Libs

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Wed, 10/8/08, David C. Hicks wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a source of information about how to
> build a custom tag lib for Struts2?  Maybe it's a plugin?
> I'm a little old school and still learning.

Depends on what you mean, I guess--you can create a standard JEE custom tag using either Java or JSP (JSP 2.0+ containers only). If your goal is to subclass or extend existing S2 tags then your best bet is to start looking at the existing tag's source code, but it can be a little... obtuse at times.

(In theory I have a small PDF in the works discussing this but due to timing issues will remain dormant until closer to the end of the year.)

Dave