Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by n keywal <nk...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/13 16:58:45 UTC

read short circuit

Hi,

Is there any known counter indication for read short circuit?
I had a look at JD's presentation from January. It was tested vs. HBase as
a whole; and still recommended for nearly all cases.

We could make it at least the default when reading HLog files (even if it
seems it's a 'per client" config, there is may be something to look at as
well)?

Cheers,

Nicolas

Re: read short circuit

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> wrote:
> One issue with the current implementation is that you can only have 1
> user that short circuit reads, all the others who have the config
> enabled will get a fat Exception. At SU we don't have special config
> files for every MR job so unless you disable it job by job then you'll
> get those exceptions everywhere. We live with it but it did take
> people by surprise when we rolled it out :)

Eli just fixed that in HDFS-3907. It's a three line change that
substitutes a list of strings for a single string, plus a unit test.
Should be a low risk change to get into HDFSes everywhere.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: read short circuit

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> Write a short paragraph and I'll make an HDFS configuration sections
> like this HBase configurations section on manual and stick it in
> there: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#perf.configurations

Here's a first stab:

Leveraging local data

Since Hadoop 1.0.0 (also 0.22.1, 0.23.1, CDH3u3 and HDP 1.0) via
HDFS-2246[1], it is possible for the DFSClient to take a shortcut and
read directly from disk instead of going through the DataNode when the
data is local. What this means for HBase is that the RegionServers can
read directly off their machine's disks instead of having to open a
socket to talk to the DataNode, the former being generally much
faster[2]. In order to enable it, first hdfs-site.xml needs to be
amended with:

dfs.block.local-path-access.user = the _only_ user that can use the
shortcut. This has to be the user that started HBase.

And in hbase-site.xml:

dfs.client.read.shortcircuit = true

The DataNodes need to be restarted in order to pick up the new
configuration. Be aware that if a process started under another
username than the one configured here also has the shortcircuit
enabled, it will get an Exception regarding an unauthorized access but
the data will still be read.

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2246
2. http://files.meetup.com/1350427/hug_ebay_jdcryans.pdf

Re: read short circuit

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM, n keywal <nk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's all in the "pretty much" :-)
>> Should we make it the default (i.e. recommending it in the doc, emitting a
>> warning if it's not set) for all installation ?
>
> I'd recommend it in the doc as an important config to consider.
>
> One issue with the current implementation is that you can only have 1
> user that short circuit reads, all the others who have the config
> enabled will get a fat Exception. At SU we don't have special config
> files for every MR job so unless you disable it job by job then you'll
> get those exceptions everywhere. We live with it but it did take
> people by surprise when we rolled it out :)
>
>> Or would it make sense to separate the store and wal cases, meaning that we
>> need a change in hdfs to make this possible?
>
> Don't we only have one FS instance per region server? If so, that's a
> moot point.

Write a short paragraph and I'll make an HDFS configuration sections
like this HBase configurations section on manual and stick it in
there: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#perf.configurations

St.Ack

Re: read short circuit

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM, n keywal <nk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's all in the "pretty much" :-)
> Should we make it the default (i.e. recommending it in the doc, emitting a
> warning if it's not set) for all installation ?

I'd recommend it in the doc as an important config to consider.

One issue with the current implementation is that you can only have 1
user that short circuit reads, all the others who have the config
enabled will get a fat Exception. At SU we don't have special config
files for every MR job so unless you disable it job by job then you'll
get those exceptions everywhere. We live with it but it did take
people by surprise when we rolled it out :)

> Or would it make sense to separate the store and wal cases, meaning that we
> need a change in hdfs to make this possible?

Don't we only have one FS instance per region server? If so, that's a
moot point.

J-D

Re: read short circuit

Posted by n keywal <nk...@gmail.com>.
Done for trunk on HBASE-6783. I will need to modify the tests script to
unactivate it on HBase-0.94-security and HBase-TRUNK-on-Hadoop-2.0.0.

As a side note, there is a difference in behavior between the two modes: we
don't see anymore a datanode error. I've seen it mentioned by JD somewhere,
and I remember that the conclusion was "it's ok". Can't find it again,
though.

Conclusion; the TestFSErrorsExposed#testFullSystemBubblesFSErrors is not
executed if short circuit is on.

Re: read short circuit

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Yeah, on HBase-0.94-security