Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Doug Tabacco <ta...@california.com> on 1999/12/04 08:29:21 UTC

os-windows/5416: Freezes in windows

>Number:         5416
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Freezes in windows
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.9
>Environment:
Windows '98, with Service Pack 1 installed.  Precompiled binary of apache.

128MB RAM, PII/350 (not overclocked).  No disk errors or memory errors (both scanned intensively).
On my machine, when Apache is running, the computer frequently freezes when attempting to load some programs.  It is not a configureation error, as downgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.3.6 fixes the problem (with the same conf files as before).  Shutting down the server while 1.3.9 was in use would also fix the problem, until the server was restarted, in which case the problem woud resume.

Two applications would freeze on EVERY attempt to load.  eudora 4.0 and 4.2, and Norton Antivirus 5.
Playing mp3s (winamp 2.5e) while Apache was open would also guarantee a freeze-up.

Applications normally running on the machine:
Apache 1.3.9
AOL Instant Messenger
ICQ
Netscape 4.71
Windows Task Scheduler
Norton Av Autoprotect
Serv-U FTP server
FaxTalk Communicator 4.0
Getright 3.3.3
SVList 3.0 (mailing list manager)
Sygate Proxy Server (3.0)
RealPlayer plus 5.0
Distributed.net Dnetc client (2.8002)(www.distributed.net)
>How-To-Repeat:
I'm not sure you can, without duplicating the software setup program-for-program.
>Fix:
It looks like a software conflict, caused by something added into or changed in 1.3.9 (since 1.3.6 works fine).  Beyond that, there's not much I can offer.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]