Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Gordon <ad...@readytalk.com> on 2008/08/13 23:53:18 UTC

Tomcat admin webapp configuration with mod_jk

We currently use Apache/Tomcat and mod_jk for our webapp.  I've
downloaded and installed (correctly, I think) the admin web app but am
having trouble configuring Apache and Tomcat to recognize that the admin
webapp is present.  I suspect it's simply a config issue, but can't
figure it out.  Here's our original server.xml:

  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
    <Connector protocol="AJP/1.3"
               port="11009"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               minSpareThreads="0"
               maxSpareThreads="0"
               maxThreads="3000"
               backlog="6000"
               debug="0"
               enableLookups="false"
               maxPostSize="-1"
               connectionTimeout="-1"/>

    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
            autoDeploy="true" liveDeploy="true" deployOnStartup="false">

        <Context path="" docBase="palomar" cookies="false"
                 debug="0" crossContext="true" allowLinking="true">
          <Resources docBase="" allowLinking="true"/>
        </Context>
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

I've tried adding another connector (on port 8080) and also adding
another <context> based on the admin.xml file but nothing seems to be
working correctly.  I have workers.properties configured to redirect to
Tomcat and that's working b/c I'm getting a Tomcat 404 error and not an
Apache one.  I don't care by which means I connect to the admin webapp
(either via mod_jk or directly via another port, say 8080 but I just
can't seem to figure the configuration issue out.

--adam

Re: Tomcat admin webapp configuration with mod_jk

Posted by Adam Gordon <ad...@readytalk.com>.
I just figured it out when verifying my installation per your request of
my installation steps.  It finally clicked when I was looking at the
subdirectories in TOMCAT_HOME/conf...there's a Standalone directory and
a Catalina directory.

Our Engine name is Standalone and host name is localhost - so I moved
the admin.xml from the default of conf/Catalina/localhost to
conf/Standalone/localhost and voila! it worked.

So, now I have a problem whereby I can't log in and Tomcat is
complaining that I don't have a LoginModule configured for Standalone.
I assume I need to add a JAAS Realm in admin.xml (like we're doing for
our web app) but it's not clear how it needs to be configured.

Any ideas?

--adam

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.