Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com> on 2019/09/04 22:36:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC2]

Dear Apache DataSketches PPMC and Community,

This is a call for vote to release Apache DataSketches-cpp version
1.0.0-incubating

This is a C++ version of the core library with Python bindings.

This is the first release of this component.

We are not going to release any artifacts besides the source code.

The release candidate:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/cpp/1.0.0-incubating-rc2/

Source repository:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp

Git tag for this release:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/releases/tag/1.0.0-incubating-rc2

The artifact has been signed with key:
pub  4096R/A8E8B4E0 2019-08-20 Alexander Saydakov (CODE SIGNING KEY) <
alsay@apache.org>
Fingerprint=40A2 47F6 1E8C 6C75 678C  69C5 6848 6114 A8E8 B4E0

The public signing key can be found in the KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/KEYS

Changes from the RC1:
- added license to make files
- building and running unit tests does not require pybind11 (dependency for
Python bindings)
- better build instructions

This library was intended to be header-only, but this goal was not fully
achieved yet with CPC sketch code. This work is in progress.

Building and running unit tests requires CppUnit.

Installing CppUnit on OSX: brew install cppunit
Installing CppUnit on RHEL: yum install cppunit-devel

There are currently two ways of building: using existing make files and
generating make files using cmake. Exsisting make files might not work on
all platforms or with all C++ compilers. Generating make files using cmake
should solve this problem, but it currently requires cmake version 3.12.0
or higher that might not be readily available as a package on all platforms.

Installing the latest cmake on OSX: brew install cmake

Building and running unit tests using existing make files:
$ make
$ make test

Building and running unit tests using cmake:
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ..
$ make
$ make test

Building Python bindings requires cmake 3.12 or higher and pybind11.
Please see the following document for details:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/blob/1.0.0-incubating-rc1/python/README.md

The vote will be performed in two stages:
   - This letter will be published on dev@ and remain open for at least 72
hours and at least 3 (+1) PPMC votes or a majority of (+1) are acquired.
     All PPMC members including Mentors can vote. However, a negative vote
from a Mentor will cancel this voting process.
     The 72 hours will elapse as of Saturday, September 7, 2019, PDT (UTC
-7 hours).

   - After it passes the first stage, the summary of that vote and the key
information from this letter will be published on general@incubator and
remain open for at least 72 hours  and at least 3 (+1) IPMC votes or a
majority of (+1) are acquired.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
Alexander Saydakov
alsay@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC2]

Posted by Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/commit/0427232b9f6b34c3806223c06c3892028390c3c1

I don't want releases to be chasing an ever-moving target. The question is
whether the changes to the license file in particular are important enough
in this specific context.

  jon

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,