Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Peter Koellner <pe...@asgalon.net> on 2010/01/13 00:34:48 UTC

HELP! Can't commit anymore: svn: PROPFIND ... Service Unavailable

Hi!

I am working on a slightly outdated OpenSuSE system that has
subversion 1.4.4 installed.
Since an hour or so, I can't do any commits anymore. Everything else
seems to work, but no commits.

I even checked out a fresh working copy with

svn co http://localhost/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA test

which worked, but all I get on commit is:

Hinzufügen     meinefc/test.txt
svn: Übertragen fehlgeschlagen (Details folgen):
svn: PROPFIND Anfrage fehlgeschlagen auf
»/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA/sites/all/modules/meinefc/test.txt«
svn: PROPFIND von
»/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA/sites/all/modules/meinefc/test.txt«:
503 Service unavailable (http://localhost)
svn: Ihre Logmeldung wurde in einer Temporärdatei abgelegt:
svn:    '/home/koellpe/test/sites/all/modules/svn-commit.tmp'

Everything else works. checkout, update, access but no commit!
I have restarted apache, and I don't see any error
messages. Everything worked until an hour ago, there were no
configuration changes.

There are no log messages, no further error messages, no verbose
messages, no debug messages.

Does anybody have any idea how to solve this? This is extremely
urgent, since I am in the middle of a very complicated product
update and had to put the web site offline until finishing this update
operation

--
peter koellner <pe...@asgalon.net>

RE: HELP! Can't commit anymore: svn: PROPFIND ... Service Unavailable

Posted by Peter Koellner <pe...@asgalon.net>.
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Ullrich.Jans@elektrobit.com wrote:

> Did you check your system, e.g. if there is enough disk space, etc.?

Yes. Everything fine, nothing suspicious.

> (Sorry for the late answer - I guess it's not a subversion problem, so nobody felt the need to answer, as well as reading this ML is low-prio... ;-))

Well, I kind of solved the problem. It stopped working for all checked
out copies of that user, even new ones. So I logged in as a different user,
copied the changed files into a different (existing) work copy, checked
in from there, switched user again, did an update and after that
everything worked again. I don't know why. Which is very bad.
The first law of version control is: It's either reliable or
worthless. Searching the web for the problem did not give good
answers, except that it occasionally happened to different people
under different circumstances, but in most cases without any solutions
given. Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce the error, since
I did nothing unusual there. The only hint of an idea would be that it
started when I added a filename which I already added in a different
branch a week ago, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I hope this does not happen again after updating the system to a more
recent version as soon as possible...

--

Posted by Ul...@elektrobit.com.
Peter Koellner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am working on a slightly outdated OpenSuSE system that has
> subversion 1.4.4 installed. Since an hour or so, I can't do any
> commits anymore. Everything else seems to work, but no commits.
>
> I even checked out a fresh working copy with
>
> svn co http://localhost/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA test
>
> which worked, but all I get on commit is:
>
> Hinzufügen     meinefc/test.txt
> svn: Übertragen fehlgeschlagen (Details folgen):
> svn: PROPFIND Anfrage fehlgeschlagen auf
> »/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA/sites/all/modules/meinefc/
> test.txt« svn: PROPFIND von
> »/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA/sites/all/modules/meinefc/
> test.txt«: 503 Service unavailable (http://localhost)
> svn: Ihre Logmeldung wurde in einer Temporärdatei abgelegt:
> svn:    '/home/koellpe/test/sites/all/modules/svn-commit.tmp'
>

> Everything else works. checkout, update, access but no commit!
> I have restarted apache, and I don't see any error
> messages. Everything worked until an hour ago, there were no
> configuration changes.
>
> There are no log messages, no further error messages, no verbose
> messages, no debug messages.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to solve this? This is extremely
> urgent, since I am in the middle of a very complicated product
> update and had to put the web site offline until finishing this update
> operation

Did you check your system, e.g. if there is enough disk space, etc.?

(Sorry for the late answer - I guess it's not a subversion problem, so nobody felt the need to answer, as well as reading this ML is low-prio... ;-))

Ulli

--
Ullrich Jans, Application Support, IM
Phone: +49 9131 7701-6627, mailto:ullrich.jans@elektrobit.com

Elektrobit Automotive GmbH, Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Managing Directors: Otto Fößel, Jarkko Sairanen
Register Court Fürth HRB 4886

Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential information
intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please do not disclose it to anyone, notify
the sender promptly, and delete the message from your system.
Thank you.

Re: HELP! Can't commit anymore: svn: PROPFIND ... Service Unavailable

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Okay, this is late. I see you're using Apache as your transaction
engine, you're using SUSE, and you're using an old version of
Subversion. Sounds frightfully familiar. We use to have a similar
setup.

Are your repositories read/writable by the HTTP process? On SUSE,
these have to be read/writable by user 'wwwrun'. All files under your
repository directory need to be owned and read/writable by "wwwrun".

We had similar issues where files and directories were suddenly owned
by "root". We never traced down the issue, but we moved over to Redhat
and updated Subversion server to the most recent copy.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Peter Koellner <pe...@asgalon.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am working on a slightly outdated OpenSuSE system that has
> subversion 1.4.4 installed.
> Since an hour or so, I can't do any commits anymore. Everything else
> seems to work, but no commits.
>
> I even checked out a fresh working copy with
>
> svn co http://localhost/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA test
>
> which worked, but all I get on commit is:
>
> Hinzufügen     meinefc/test.txt
> svn: Übertragen fehlgeschlagen (Details folgen):
> svn: PROPFIND Anfrage fehlgeschlagen auf
> »/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA/sites/all/modules/meinefc/test.txt«
> svn: PROPFIND von
> »/svn/meinefc/branches/RELEASE-BETA/sites/all/modules/meinefc/test.txt«:
> 503 Service unavailable (http://localhost)
> svn: Ihre Logmeldung wurde in einer Temporärdatei abgelegt:
> svn:    '/home/koellpe/test/sites/all/modules/svn-commit.tmp'
>

> Everything else works. checkout, update, access but no commit!
> I have restarted apache, and I don't see any error
> messages. Everything worked until an hour ago, there were no
> configuration changes.
>
> There are no log messages, no further error messages, no verbose
> messages, no debug messages.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to solve this? This is extremely
> urgent, since I am in the middle of a very complicated product
> update and had to put the web site offline until finishing this update
> operation
>

> --
> peter koellner <pe...@asgalon.net>

--