Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bob Cohen <bc...@bpecreative.com> on 2004/03/05 17:10:41 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd.conf question

For some strange reason, after installing php as a DSO, httpd stopped
recognizing index.html/shtml in directories below root unless they are
explicitly written.  E.g., http://www.sitename.com/ works as expected
and delivers the site's index file (index.shtml) Whereas typing
http://www.sitename.com/subdirectory in Explorer gives me the "The page
cannot be displayed" error.  I have a similar set up on another server,
which does not give me this problem, and can't tell from comparing the
two, how to rectify this situation.

Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

Bob Cohen
b.p.e.Creative
http://www.bpecreative.com
Design and production services for the web
Put creative minds to work for you

RE: [users@httpd] httpd.conf question

Posted by Bob Cohen <bc...@bpecreative.com>.
> You weren't at all explicit about what error you got from
> MSIE or what
> you saw in the apache logs.

My bad Joshua--trying to do too many things at once.  I'm getting two
errors: 404, Request Time out & 301 Moved Permanently.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Bob Cohen wrote:

>>Check out your DirectoryIndex directive... this lists the
>>files that are
>>openned by default when no name is explicitly specified.
>

> Thanks for the speedy reply.  I guess I should've mentioned that it
> appears to set correctly, e.g.,
>
> <IfModule mod_dir.c>
>     DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.php
> </IfModule>
>
> Which is among the reasons why I'm stumped.

You weren't at all explicit about what error you got from MSIE or what
you saw in the apache logs.

Assuming the real error was "cannot find server" or something of the
like, then the problem is the ServerName:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#set-servername

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] httpd.conf question

Posted by Bob Cohen <bc...@bpecreative.com>.

Posted by Piyush Chugh <Pi...@otpp.com>.
Check out your DirectoryIndex directive... this lists the files that are
openned by default when no name is explicitly specified.

Cheers,
- Pi