Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by 冉明轩 <mi...@163.com> on 2018/08/06 09:18:50 UTC

Can we create pre-aggregation for non-carbon format tables?

Hello guys,

Recently I came up with an idea: can we create pre-aggregation for non-carbon format tables?

For example, someone is suffering from disk space shortage or for some other reason he must use other file format other than carbondata.
In these cases he may also want quick query on some statistic queries like "count" and "sum".
If in these cases carbon can support him in the way of redirecting query to the pre-agg table just like what it is done for its own data, he can also enjoy the fast performance of carbon.

This kind of pre-agg can be triggered by a metadata update happened in hive so both managed-table and external-table can take benefit from it.

Ran

Re: Can we create pre-aggregation for non-carbon format tables?

Posted by 冉明轩 <mi...@163.com>.
Hi Ravindra,

Thank you for the information. I checked the ticket about MV supporting. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CARBONDATA-2473
I got the idea. At this point the things I want should be the MV itself.

I will take some time to check this topic later.

Thank you
Ran