Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by henrib <he...@apache.org> on 2010/02/05 14:12:36 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Jexl 2.0 released.

The Commons JEXL team is pleased to announce the commons-jexl-2.0 release!

JEXL is an Expression Language supporting most of the constructs in the JSTL
Expression Language,
along with some additional extensions. As a library, it is intended to
facilitate the implementation
of dynamic and scripting features in applications and frameworks.

New Features:

Assignment expression: a = b (and a.b.c = d). Issue: JEXL-27. Thanks to
Weikuo Liaw.
   * Assigns a variable (ant-like variable or bean-property)

Ternary operator expression: a ? b : c  (and a ?: c). Issue: JEXL-19. Thanks
to Jesse Glick.
   * The usual inline conditional shortcut and its 'Elvis' form (a ?: b
evaluates as a ? a : b)

Constructor call expression: new('my.class.name', arguments...)
   * Creates a new instance of a class using the most appropriate
constructor according
     to the actual arguments

Function namespace: ns:func(arguments...) Issue: JEXL-15. Thanks to Paul
Libbrecht.
   * A function namespace allows the use of class or instance methods in
function calls

UnifiedJEXL
   * Adds ${...} and #{...} JSP/EL syntax support on top of the JexlEngine

JSR-223 support. Issue: JEXL-63. Thanks to Sebastian Bazley.
   * Implement JSR-223 Scripting Engine for JEXL script (need BSF-3.0 on
Java < 6)

Error and exception handling. Issue: JEXL-10, JEXL-11. Thanks to Paul
Libbrecht.
   * Configuring the leniency and verbosity of the Jexl engine allows user
control over the
     error handling policy

Support Unicode escapes in string literals and quote escaping. Issue:
JEXL-17. Thanks to Nestor Urquiza.
	* 'foo\u0020bar\'quux'

Perl-like regular-expression operators. Issue: JEXL-46. Thanks to Alfred
Reibenschuh.

Fixed Bugs:

* Allow single-line comments with //  Issue: JEXL-47. Thanks to Sebastian
Bazley.
* Comments don't allow double-quotes  Issue: JEXL-44. Thanks to Sebastian
Bazley.
* Call method with varargs  Issue: JEXL-25. Thanks to Marek Lewczuk.
* BigDecimal values are treated as Long values which results in loss of
precision  Issue: JEXL-32. Thanks to Kedar Dave.
* Remove unnecessary throws Exception from various classes  Issue: JEXL-33.
* Div operator does not do integer division  Issue: JEXL-50. Thanks to
Sebastian Bazley.
* Inconsistent behaviour of arithmetical operations  Issue: JEXL-87. Thanks
to Sebastian Bazley.
* Operator overloading / hooks on operator processing  Issue: JEXL-21.
Thanks to AC.

The full list of new features, bug fixes and changes as well as
documentation and examples can be found at the  http://
http://commons.apache.org/jexl/ JEXL site  .

Have fun!
-Commons JEXL team

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jexl 2.0 released.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/2010, henrib <he...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Relinked readme.
>>  Not sure what to do about 1.1: should I hand-modify download_jexl.xml to
>>  include 1.1 Source/Binary entries, regen html & copy over in
>>  /www/commons.apache.org/jexl ? (1.1 tars/signature being still available in
>>  /www/www.apache.org/dist/commons/jexl/{source,binaries}) Would this be
>>  enough?
>
> So long as both are available on the download page that's all that
> matters as far as the end-users are concerned.
>
> I don't know how to achieve this with the M2 build. It would be best
> if the change was done in such a way that it would not be lost if the
> site is updated.

<snip/>

Edit by hand for now. A simple 'mvn site' won't cause the edits to be
lost thereafter. Once there is a v1.2 of the commons build plugin, we
can do this correctly -- its addressed in COMMONSSITE-48 [1].

Since you will be sending another announcement to the user list, if I
may nitpick on some cosmetic improvements (take what you like):

(a) The line breaks aren't right in the announcement email, so the
text doesn't flow correctly and is a bit hard to read

(b) I prefer bug lists in announcements to be along the lines of the
latter style below (since it aligns the issue keys better):

 * Some bug fixed [JEXL-1]
 * Some other bug with a much longer description fixed [JEXL-2]

vs.

 * [JEXL-1] Some bug fixed
 * [JEXL-2] Some other bug with a much longer description fixed

(c) IMO, its better for the subject to say "Apache Commons JEXL 2.0"

(d) An oddity ATM is that the main Commons site has a separate JEXL
download page [2] that is referenced from the 2.0 link on this page
[3].

-Rahul

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-48
[2] http://commons.apache.org/downloads/download_jexl.cgi
[3] http://commons.apache.org/jexl/releases.html

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jexl 2.0 released.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/02/2010, henrib <he...@apache.org> wrote:

>  Fixed readme,

Not quite - you only fixed the one in the top-level directory, the
ones in binary/source need to be updated too. That's normally done by
linking them together, as is done for HEADER.html:

53068016        6 -rw-rw-r--    1 apbackup         commons
 1440 Feb  5 15:26 ./README.html
53068015        4 -rw-rw-r--    1 apbackup         commons
  464 Sep  2  2007 ./HEADER.html
53068026        4 -rw-rw-r--    1 apbackup         commons
  464 Sep  2  2007 ./source/HEADER.html
53068027        6 -rw-rw-r--    1 apbackup         commons
 1440 Aug  2  2007 ./source/README.html
53068018        4 -rw-rw-r--    1 apbackup         commons
  464 Sep  2  2007 ./binaries/HEADER.html
53068019        6 -rw-rw-r--    1 apbackup         commons
 1440 Aug  2  2007 ./binaries/README.html

Note the different link counts for HEADER and README.

> release notes & nightly builds link;

OK.

>  Jexl 1.1 is available through archive.

Yes, but that's not the point - JEXL 2.0 and 1.1 are both "current"
releases as they target different JVMs.

Posted by henrib <he...@apache.org>.
Fixed readme, release notes & nightly builds link; Jexl 1.1 is available
through archive.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jexl 2.0 released.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/02/2010, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/2010, henrib <he...@apache.org> wrote:
>  >
>  >  The Commons JEXL team is pleased to announce the commons-jexl-2.0 release!
>  >

> I rejected the announce to Commons-User because:
>
>  The download page on the web-site has not been updated yet.

Just seen the change; however I think 1.1 still needs to be available,
as it is rather different from 2.0

>  The RELEASE_NOTES.txt file on the download site is out of date.
>  The README.html file is out of date.
>
>  These are quite easy to fix, and it should only take a day or so for
>  the mirrors to catch up once the web-site has been updated.
>
>  Please can you hold off sending any further announcements until these
>  items are fixed?
>
>  By the way, I'd prefer my name to be omitted from the announcement.
>  If people are really interested in tracking who provided those fixes
>  they can find out from the JIRA entries.
>
>  Thanks.

Also, the page http://commons.apache.org/jexl/releases.html has a link
to nightly builds. These should not be advertised to users, only
developers.  The page could probably be dropped, and removed from the
left-hand navigation.

S///

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jexl 2.0 released.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.