Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2007/10/22 11:49:13 UTC

[VOTE] Dropping Java 1.3 support for Apache XML Graphics (lazy vote)

Considering that we've already talked this to the ground, I would only
like to wrap this up with a vote for record keeping. I propose this to
be a lazy vote as it seems we have a major consensus here, i.e. there's
a 72 hour period for anyone who hasn't spoken up, yet, to place a -1 (veto,
explanation mandatory as always in such a case). If there are no vetoes,
the following project decisions applying to the whole of the Apache XML
Graphics Project become effective:

* Support for Java 1.3 for the Trunk of all our subprojects is dropped.
Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
* New releases from the main development branch (usually Trunk) will be
made without support for Java 1.3. Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
* When Sun ends the end-of-life process for Java 1.4 next year we will
restart the discussion about dropping support for Java 1.4 and instead
going for Java 1.5.

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: [VOTE] Dropping Java 1.3 support for Apache XML Graphics (lazy vote)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <pi...@databaar.ch>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Considering that we've already talked this to the ground, I would only
> like to wrap this up with a vote for record keeping. I propose this to
> be a lazy vote as it seems we have a major consensus here, i.e. there's
> a 72 hour period for anyone who hasn't spoken up, yet, to place a -1 (veto,
> explanation mandatory as always in such a case). If there are no vetoes,
> the following project decisions applying to the whole of the Apache XML
> Graphics Project become effective:
>
> * Support for Java 1.3 for the Trunk of all our subprojects is dropped.
> Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> * New releases from the main development branch (usually Trunk) will be
> made without support for Java 1.3. Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> * When Sun ends the end-of-life process for Java 1.4 next year we will
> restart the discussion about dropping support for Java 1.4 and instead
> going for Java 1.5.

+1, as already discussed.

J.Pietschmann

Re: [VOTE] Dropping Java 1.3 support for Apache XML Graphics (lazy vote)

Posted by Manuel Mall <ma...@apache.org>.
On Monday 22 October 2007 17:49, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Considering that we've already talked this to the ground, I would
> only like to wrap this up with a vote for record keeping. I propose
> this to be a lazy vote as it seems we have a major consensus here,
> i.e. there's a 72 hour period for anyone who hasn't spoken up, yet,
> to place a -1 (veto, explanation mandatory as always in such a case).
> If there are no vetoes, the following project decisions applying to
> the whole of the Apache XML Graphics Project become effective:
>
> * Support for Java 1.3 for the Trunk of all our subprojects is
> dropped. Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> * New releases from the main development branch (usually Trunk) will
> be made without support for Java 1.3. Java 1.4 becomes the new
> minimal Java level. * When Sun ends the end-of-life process for Java
> 1.4 next year we will restart the discussion about dropping support
> for Java 1.4 and instead going for Java 1.5.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremias Maerki

+1 sounds all sensible to me

Manuel

Re: [VOTE] Dropping Java 1.3 support for Apache XML Graphics (lazy vote)

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On 10/22/07, Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki:
> > Considering that we've already talked this to the ground, I would only
> > like to wrap this up with a vote for record keeping. I propose this to
> > be a lazy vote as it seems we have a major consensus here, i.e. there's
> > a 72 hour period for anyone who hasn't spoken up, yet, to place a -1 (veto,
> > explanation mandatory as always in such a case). If there are no vetoes,
> > the following project decisions applying to the whole of the Apache XML
> > Graphics Project become effective:
> >
> > * Support for Java 1.3 for the Trunk of all our subprojects is dropped.
> > Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> > * New releases from the main development branch (usually Trunk) will be
> > made without support for Java 1.3. Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> > * When Sun ends the end-of-life process for Java 1.4 next year we will
> > restart the discussion about dropping support for Java 1.4 and instead
> > going for Java 1.5.
>
> +1
>
> Batik's 1.7 release will still have 1.3 support, but after that we'll
> drop it.

+1 to the above from me.

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: [VOTE] Dropping Java 1.3 support for Apache XML Graphics (lazy vote)

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:

Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

[VOTE:RESULTS] Dropping Java 1.3 support for Apache XML Graphics (lazy vote)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
No objections were recorded for this decision. So, this becomes
effective now. Obviously, Batik is free to finish the release of version
1.7 with Java 1.3 support still in place (just so there are no
misunderstandings).

Jeremias Maerki

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Considering that we've already talked this to the ground, I would only
> like to wrap this up with a vote for record keeping. I propose this to
> be a lazy vote as it seems we have a major consensus here, i.e. there's
> a 72 hour period for anyone who hasn't spoken up, yet, to place a -1 (veto,
> explanation mandatory as always in such a case). If there are no vetoes,
> the following project decisions applying to the whole of the Apache XML
> Graphics Project become effective:
>
> * Support for Java 1.3 for the Trunk of all our subprojects is dropped.
> Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> * New releases from the main development branch (usually Trunk) will be
> made without support for Java 1.3. Java 1.4 becomes the new minimal Java level.
> * When Sun ends the end-of-life process for Java 1.4 next year we will
> restart the discussion about dropping support for Java 1.4 and instead
> going for Java 1.5.

+1 from me.

Chris