Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org> on 2019/06/13 18:56:50 UTC

HDFS Scalability Limit?

Hi community,

I am currently drafting a HDFS scalability guideline doc, and I'd like to
understand any data points regarding HDFS scalability limit. I'd like to
share it publicly eventually.

As an example, through my workplace, and through community chatters, I am
aware that HDFS is capable of operating at the following scale:

Number of DataNodes:
Unfederated: I can reasonably believe a single HDFS NameNode can manage up
to 4000 DataNodes. Is there any one who would like to share an even larger
cluster?

Federated: I am aware of one federated HDFS cluster composed of 20,000
DataNodes. JD.com
<https://conferences.oreilly.com/strata/strata-eu-2018/public/schedule/detail/64692>
has a 15K DN cluster and 210PB total capacity. I suspect it's a federated
HDFS cluster.

Number of blocks & files:
500 million files&blocks seems to be the upper limit at this point. At this
scale NameNode consumes around 200GB heap, and my experience told me any
number beyond 200GB is unstable. But at some point I recalled some one
mentioned a 400GB NN heap.

Amount of Data:
I am aware a few clusters more than 100PB in size (federated or not) --
Uber, Yahoo Japan, JD.com.

Number of Volumes in a DataNode:
DataNodes with 24 volumes is known to work reasonably well. If DataNode is
used for archival use cases, a DN can have up to 48 volumes. This is
certainly hardware dependent, but if I know where the current limit is, I
can start optimizing the software.

Total disk space:
CDH
<https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/release-notes/topics/hardware_requirements_guide.html#concept_fzz_dq4_gbb>
recommends no more than 100TB per DataNode. Are there successful
deployments that install more than this number? Of course, you can easily
exceed this number if it is used purely for data archival.

What are other scalability limits that people are interested?

Best,
Wei-Chiu

Re: HDFS Scalability Limit?

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wei-Chiu,

We run similar Hadoop installations as Kihwal describes. Thanks for sharing
Kihwal.
Our clusters are also not Federated.
So far the growth rate is the same as we reported in our talk last year
(slide #5) 2x per year:
https://www.slideshare.net/Hadoop_Summit/scaling-hadoop-at-linkedin-107176757

We track three main metrics: Total space used, Number of Objects (Files+
blocks), and Number of Tasks per day.
I found that the number of nodes is mostly irrelevant in measuring cluster
size, since the nodes are very diverse in configuration and are constantly
upgrading, so you may have the same #nodes, but much more drives, cores,
RAM on each of them - a bigger cluster.

I do not see 200 GB heap size as a limit. We ran Dynamometer experiments
with a bigger heap fitting 1 billion files and blocks. It should be doable,
but we may hit other scalability limits when we get to so many objects. See
Erik's talk discussing the experiments and solutions:
https://www.slideshare.net/xkrogen/hadoop-meetup-jan-2019-dynamometer-and-a-case-study-in-namenode-gc

Well Hadoop scalability has always been a moving target for me. I don't
think you can set it in stone once and for all.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Re: HDFS Scalability Limit?

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.