Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at> on 2008/12/17 00:40:53 UTC

[VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on EXEC_1_0_0_RC2

Hi folks,

after struggling with my and Maven's shortcomings (and wasting a release
candidate) it is time to call a vote to release commons-exec-1.0.0

Tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0_RC2

Site:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC2/site/index.html

Binaries:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC2/staged/commons-exec/commons-exec/1.0.0/

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because

Let the fun begin ...

Siegfried Goeschl

PS: The test distribution is not part of the release but handy for
platform testing - http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/download/commons-exec/

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on EXEC_1_0_0_RC2

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Oliver Heger
> <ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
>> All looks good except for the folder name used in the source distribution:
>> "commons-exec-2.4.1-src". I think this is caused by a Maven bug, I've seen
>> this before...
>>
> <snip/>
>
> Hardcoding version # in assembly source descriptor is perhaps the best
> way to deal with this. See:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/trunk/src/assembly/src.xml

<snip/>

Just checked the artifacts -- they look good, other than the issue above.

-Rahul

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on EXEC_1_0_0_RC2

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Siegfried Goeschl
<si...@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> +) I will double-check since I have also seen the problem before
> +) would make a nice addition to the commons wiki

<snip/>

On item 2, absolutely, I think its atleast the 3rd RC bitten by this.
TIA for wiki update.

-Rahul

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Rahul,

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Good point - I will add that tomorrow ...

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16/12/2008, Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>  after struggling with my and Maven's shortcomings (and wasting a release
>  candidate) it is time to call a vote to release commons-exec-1.0.0
>
>  Tag:
>
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0_RC2

Trivial nit:
svn ps svn:eol-style native doap_exec.rdf

Files pass the RAT test.

>  Site:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC2/site/index.html
>
>  Binaries:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC2/staged/commons-exec/commons-exec/1.0.0/

There's no need to keep the .asc.md5 and .asc.sha1 files.

The pgp public key for  0xC780E2AF needs to be added to

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/trunks-proper/KEYS

However, the key is available from the key servers, and all the sigs
and hashes check out OK.

N&L files are present and look OK.

Builds and tests OK uisng Ant and Maven2 with Java 1.4.2 (WinXP).

Builds OK, but junit fails on Java 1.3.1. This can be fixed by
removing the xml output:

<!--formatter type="xml"/-->

All minor issues, so:

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Mostly OT with respect to vote, but might be useful for others to know
in this context ...

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> after struggling with my and Maven's shortcomings (and wasting a release
> candidate) it is time to call a vote to release commons-exec-1.0.0
>
> Tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0_RC2

<snip/>

Based on prior feedback (Phil and Niall IIRC), I've changed the wiki
documentation to not recommend the RCn suffix to tags.

Siegfried -- If you're following the page below, please note the
changes made today (not saying you should redo the RC, just that you
be aware of the changes since I removed a step that copied the tag to
the "final" name, you may still want to do that if vote passes):

  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases?action=info

-Rahul

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Sierfried,

Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> after struggling with my and Maven's shortcomings (and wasting a release
> candidate) it is time to call a vote to release commons-exec-1.0.0
>
> Tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0_RC2
>
> Site:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC2/site/index.html
>
> Binaries:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC2/staged/commons-exec/commons-exec/1.0.0/

> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because
>

> Let the fun begin ...
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>
> PS: The test distribution is not part of the release but handy for
> platform testing -
> http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/download/commons-exec/

I tried to build the source distribution on my Gentoo ~x86 box with my
compiler zoo. First thing is that the source extracts to
commons-exec-2.4.1-src ... quite strange.

The STATUS states that System.getEnv has been deprecated with JDK 1.4.
However, this deprecation has been revoked, see JDK 1.5.

There should be some notice, that you have to set the executable flag for
the shell scripts in src/test/scripts before running the tests. Otherwise
the DefaultExecutorTest will simply fail.

It works for blackdown-1.4.2, ibm-1.4.2/1.6, jrockit-1.4.2/1.5,
sun-1.4.2/1.5/1.6. IBM 1.5 fails with Maven itself.

Since all of the above look like minor issues, not necessarily preventing a
release.

+1

- Jörg