Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Darren Sargent <ds...@richrelevance.com> on 2013/03/17 06:18:01 UTC

How do we get involved in beta testing Kafka 0.8?

Hi,

Here at RichRelevance we are already using Kafka 0.7 in production. We'd very much like to get involved as early adopters of 0.8.

Of course we could just pull HEAD from trunk and build it, which we've already done and managed to retrofit our existing logic to work with the 0.8 API, but it would be nice to get a "blessed" build that has gone through LinkedIn's internal integration testing, so it will have at least some level of stability. Is there some kind of build like that we could get hold of? Even just a tag/specific revision would work.

We fully understand what it means to get involved with beta/pre-release software, and we're going to give it a thorough workout before even considering deploying it to production, but we'd like to get hold of a stable release candidate now -- the ops people are chomping at the bit for the extra reliability on the Broker side!

We will of course attempt to fix any defects we find and submit the patches back to the project. We'd like to be involved in helping with the productionization of Kafka 0.8.

We also have some useful consumers & framework classes we've built around Kafka, which we are planning to contribute back to the project. We can't do so immediately because they depend on some of our internal classes which we don't want to release to the project, since they're somewhat messy.

Could you let us know how we need to proceed?

Thanks....

Da{rr}en Sargent
—
Senior Software Engineer, Platform
richrelevance
www.richrelevance.com<http://www.richrelevance.com/>

Re: How do we get involved in beta testing Kafka 0.8?

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Darren,

Thanks for volunteering for testing 0.8. The current stable version of 0.8
can be found in the 0.8 branch (NOT trunk) of Kafka Apache git repo. You
can follow
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+0.8+Quick+Start to
get things started. At LinkedIn, we have been testing the HEAD from 0.8.
It's quite stable now. We plan to make an alpha release in Apache in March.

Please report back if you find any issues during your testing.

Thanks,

Jun

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Darren Sargent <dsargent@richrelevance.com