Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Michael Lipp <mi...@danet.de> on 2002/10/24 14:47:47 UTC

Problem validating XForms

Hello,

until today, I've used xerces very successfully to validate my XML
documents. But now I have a problem which might be a Xerces (design) bug.

I'm trying to validate an XForms description. The XForms schema has
something that makes it different from any other schema I have used
before: documents may include an XML Schema instance:

   <xsd:element name="model">
     <xsd:complexType>
       <xsd:sequence minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
         <xsd:choice>
           <xsd:element ref="xforms:instance"/>
           <xsd:element ref="xsd:schema"/>       <!-- << here! -->
           <xsd:element ref="xforms:submission"/>
           <xsd:element ref="xforms:bind"/>
           <xsd:group ref="xforms:actionGroup"/>
           <xsd:element ref="xforms:extension"/>
         </xsd:choice>
       </xsd:sequence>

In order to allow the xsd:element to ref xsd:schema, it must be known
what xsd:schema is. The XForms schema accomplishes this by importing
XMLSchema:

<xsd:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd"/>

Now Xerces says that it cannot find the schema to be imported. Strange,
isn't it, because Xerces must know about this schema, else it couldn't
verify schemas. ;-)

But obviously, the built-in support for http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
  only applies to namespace declarations, not for imports.

I tried to explicitly declare XMLSchema, i.e. I downloaded the schema
file for XML schema (sounds like a bootstrap problem already) and added
it to the schemaLocation property (needs an entry in the DTD catalog as
well, but I did all that). This seems to override the built-in XML
schema definition successfully as it leads to complete chaos... (as
could be expected).

Any help?

Regards,

     Michael