Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by ja...@chennai.tcs.co.in on 2003/01/16 13:15:41 UTC

Overriding Turbine Security Service

Hi all,

I am a newbee to turbine framework.

Kudos to turbine developers and it is the best framework i have seen.  Torque and Velocity
makes development so easy.
I happened to have a look at scarab also.  It had lot of new concepts and i wonder how
many people know of the wonderful framework.

   I am developing a slashdot type site [Forum] using turbine.  First thing i wanted was
to override the turbine security framework.
I wanted to override it to get more control in my code.  I have made a class inheriting
from TurbineUser and created a UserManager.  Is that all to it?

  Exactly how can the Turbine Security framework can overridden to write a custom security
service?

Is Turbine 3.0(any release) available right now?

Again turbine & torque  are wonderful.

Thanks,
Jayson
[Anything after this line is not written by me]

***The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the addressed individual or entity indicated in
this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person). It must not be
read, copied, disclosed, distributed or used by any person other than the addressee.
Unauthorised use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
 Opinions, conclusions and other information on this message that do not relate to the
official business of any of the constituent companies of the TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Group. If you have received this
message in error, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by e-mail.
Thank you.***

Re: Overriding Turbine Security Service

Posted by CP Lim <cp...@redsheriff.com>.
Hi Jayson,

There are a few things you can do.  Firstly you can provide your own
SecurityService by subclassing from the BaseSecurityService class
(located in org.apache.turbine.services.security package).

Then you'll have to reconfigure Turbine to recognise this new security
service in the TurbineResources.properties file (located in your
WEB-INF/conf directory).  The current configured line should be:

services.SecurityService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.security.db.DBSecurityService

rewrite as

services.SecurityService.classname=<your_package>.<your_security_service_class>

You'll probably also want to have a look at the code behind Turbine's
DBSecurityService, go to
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/xref/org/apache/turbine/services/security/db/DBSecurityService.html

Or you can look at the code of every class at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/xref/index.html

cheers,
CP

jayson_joseph@chennai.tcs.co.in wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbee to turbine framework.
>
> Kudos to turbine developers and it is the best framework i have seen.  Torque and Velocity
> makes development so easy.
> I happened to have a look at scarab also.  It had lot of new concepts and i wonder how
> many people know of the wonderful framework.
>

>    I am developing a slashdot type site [Forum] using turbine.  First thing i wanted was
> to override the turbine security framework.
> I wanted to override it to get more control in my code.  I have made a class inheriting
> from TurbineUser and created a UserManager.  Is that all to it?
>
>   Exactly how can the Turbine Security framework can overridden to write a custom security
> service?
>
> Is Turbine 3.0(any release) available right now?
>
> Again turbine & torque  are wonderful.
>
> Thanks,
> Jayson
> [Anything after this line is not written by me]
>

> ***The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressed individual or entity indicated in
> this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person). It must not be
> read, copied, disclosed, distributed or used by any person other than the addressee.
> Unauthorised use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>  Opinions, conclusions and other information on this message that do not relate to the
> official business of any of the constituent companies of the TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
> shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Group. If you have received this
> message in error, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by e-mail.
> Thank you.***

R E D S H E R I F F
C.P. Lim - Software Engineer
Level 1, 10 Queens Road    +61 3 9864 0733 tel
Melbourne VIC              +61 3 9864 0778 fax
Australia                  +61 413 781 846 mob

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify us
immediately by return email or telephone +61 (3) 9659 0432, then delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender and many not necessarily reflect the views of Red
Sheriff.