Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark Blackman <ma...@exonetric.com> on 2014/08/05 15:21:11 UTC

Apache 2.2.28 release timing.

Hi,

This might be more of user than dev question, but as the discussions about
timing were here, I’ll go with here.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201407.mbox/<20140721075315.ec908e91c20de17e6e448089a4bc3ed2.f963b4ea46.wbe%40email11.secureserver.net>

suggested the 2.2.28 tagging and presumably release is imminent,
however, http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.28 is still a 404.

I understand the mechanics of open source projects, so this is not a “hurry-up”,
it’s just a "can I get Apache 2.2.28 into my next hosting platform release or not”,
the contents of which will be frozen on Aug. 15.

I’m mostly interested in the CVE updates, so I can tell users we’re clear of them.
If the 2.2.28 release is not likely before Aug. 15, that’s fine, I just wanted to be sure.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Apache 2.2.28 release timing.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:39:40 -0400
Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> OK... created a CentOS5 system w/ libtool 1.5.26 and
> autoconf 2.69, so I can RM 2.2.x!

Excellent!  Sorry I missed your note, claws mail client doesn't
re-sort by last-post date in threaded mode.  Someday, I'll find
a mail reader I can deal with that correctly works with IMAP ;-/
Didn't mean to step on toes :(

It will be great to have several of us that can handle the legacy
branch, I'll respond to Ben's puzzlement a bit later today as well,
so more people can become comfortable RM'ing.

With STATUS cleared out, I had gone ahead and tagged when I woke up
this morning, before I caught up on this thread, sigh.  Should anything
be found that's gone off the track, would you mind doing the re-roll?
Next week, things get crazy for me once again.

Bill

Re: Apache 2.2.28 release timing.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
> That about sums it up.  Sorry, I am still drowning in my late father's
> affairs for another 3-4 weeks, but will make time to do this in 2 hours
> from now, sum up votes and move files Sun a.m. for a Mon a.m. release.
> That saves anyone else from creating an older toolchain (even I never
> use this one on the development branches).

Thanks Bill, if you don't get to it I'll try to do it next week.  I'm traveling
right now or I'd do it now.

Re: T&R of 2.2.28

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 08:14:13 -0400
Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> I propose to T&R 2.2.28 on Tuesday; this gives people today,
> the weekend, and Monday to ensure 2.2.28 is in good enough
> shape to release.

My bad, I had already tagged and rolled before I caught up with this
thread, again it was a simple email race condition.  Time to drop my
Claws email client :(

Status is empty, patches are carefully vetted, so there was no need
to wait for next week.  Your proposed timing goes very well with any
necessity of re-rolling a rejected tarball, and would be helpful and
greatly appreciated if it comes to that, thank you!

T&R of 2.2.28

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Release Management

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:35:34 +0100
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:

> I'd do the rolling myself but I'm not 100% clear on what needs to
> happen.  So if someone can do a little hand holding I'll be happy to
> do the release myself. I'm generally familiar with how the ASF does
> releases since I do the Subversion release regularly.  So this would
> be entirely about the specifics of rolling the release.

The instructions at http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html have been
refreshed now.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to cut their teeth at RM'ing to think
about the 2.5.x alpha/beta branch.  It's a good way to become familiar
with the whole process and shouldn't be at all intimidating.  Hopefully,
we'll have enough meat in that branch to make a dev release sometime
soon.  (I realize that much of the meaty goodness has been backported
to 2.4.x, but at some point they will eventually diverge enough to move
forward toward 2.6).

Re: Apache 2.2.28 release timing.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On 8/5/14 2:21 PM, Mark Blackman wrote:
> This might be more of user than dev question, but as the discussions about
> timing were here, I’ll go with here.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201407.mbox/<20140721075315.ec908e91c20de17e6e448089a4bc3ed2.f963b4ea46.wbe%40email11.secureserver.net>
>
> suggested the 2.2.28 tagging and presumably release is imminent,
> however, http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.28 is still a 404.
>
> I understand the mechanics of open source projects, so this is not a “hurry-up”,
> it’s just a "can I get Apache 2.2.28 into my next hosting platform release or not”,
> the contents of which will be frozen on Aug. 15.
>
> I’m mostly interested in the CVE updates, so I can tell users we’re clear of them.
> If the 2.2.28 release is not likely before Aug. 15, that’s fine, I just wanted to be sure.

Beyond just the CVE changes there are other changes such as the fix for PR
56480 that people want in a 2.2.x release.  Some Subversion users are still
needing to use 2.2.x for reasons that aren't terribly important to go into here.

I've been patiently waiting for this release to happen, but it's been nearly a
month now since the original intent to roll email came out.

Posted by olli hauer <oh...@gmx.de>.
On 2014-08-05 15:21, Mark Blackman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might be more of user than dev question, but as the discussions about
> timing were here, I’ll go with here.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201407.mbox/<20140721075315.ec908e91c20de17e6e448089a4bc3ed2.f963b4ea46.wbe%40email11.secureserver.net>
>
> suggested the 2.2.28 tagging and presumably release is imminent,
> however, http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.28 is still a 404.
>
> I understand the mechanics of open source projects, so this is not a “hurry-up”,
> it’s just a "can I get Apache 2.2.28 into my next hosting platform release or not”,
> the contents of which will be frozen on Aug. 15.
>
> I’m mostly interested in the CVE updates, so I can tell users we’re clear of them.
> If the 2.2.28 release is not likely before Aug. 15, that’s fine, I just wanted to be sure.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I suspect almost all distributions ship already patched the Apache 2.2 packages/ports.

In case you build Apache yourself just use the patches from the upstream SVN,

Or from the FreeBSD svn as set of three patch files:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/apache22/files/patch-CVE-2014-0118__mod_deflate.c?revision=362845&view=co
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/apache22/files/patch-CVE-2014-0226__scoreboard.c?revision=362845&view=co
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/apache22/files/patch-CVE-2014-0231__mod_cgid.c?revision=362845&view=co

I hope the list of CVE patches is complete, else I'm happy to get additional hints from the Apache devs to integrate missing fixes.

--
olli