Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by jw...@ilstechnology.com on 2005/03/18 15:42:14 UTC

why does 0.9.8 use both expat and libxml2?

Guys and gals.

I've been testing the latest 0.9.8 build on linux, and I noticed that it is
using both the expat and the libxml libraries, as well as the libz
libraries.  What parts of these libraries are being used?  Is this just
overhead from the APR merge?

I don't see any references to libz in the binary, but I do see references
to the rest of the libraries.

Thanks,

James Wert Jr.

JWert@ILSTechnology.com

ILS Technology, Inc.
5300 Broken Sound Blvd. Suite 150
Boca Raton, FL 33487

Office: (561) 982-9898 x124
Cell: (561) 504-3452

Re: why does 0.9.8 use both expat and libxml2?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Mar 18, 2005, at 8:42 AM, jwert@ilstechnology.com wrote:

> Guys and gals.
>
> I've been testing the latest 0.9.8 build on linux, and I noticed
> that it is
> using both the expat and the libxml libraries, as well as the libz
> libraries.  What parts of these libraries are being used?  Is this
> just
> overhead from the APR merge?
>
> I don't see any references to libz in the binary, but I do see
> references
> to the rest of the libraries.

libxml2 and MSXML are used by the current implementation of
DOMConfigurator.  expat is used by APR-util, but not currently by
log4cxx.  The goal is to port log4j's JoranConfigurator which
replaces DOMConfigurator and to have it use expat through apr-util
and drop the current DOMConfigurator and its dependencies on libxml2
and MSXML.  This issue was logged as LOGCXX-35 (http://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-35)