Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/10 13:22:55 UTC

Limiting dependency resolution depth

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Java and Maven, so my question may be very naive
and/or stupid, apologies for that.
I'm trying to compile an open-source project (if that matters, it's
https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/4832 ), which is supposed
to be built with Maven. I've got Maven 3 installed (Apache Maven 3.0.1
(r1038046; 2010-11-23 10:58:32+0000)). This pretty small project
depends on a larger one (Atlassian JIRA), which has some Maven
support, but the public repos are not well maintained, and there are a
lot of broken dependencies, therefore the dependency resolution
process fails.
However, I have all of the first level (direct) dependencies resolved.
As far as my knowledge goes, it's enough to have the first level
dependencies to compile a Java project, and that's exactly what I
want. Is there a way to tell Maven to stop resolving >2 level
dependencies, and just try compiling the project? I tried to Google
for this, no luck; and the guides on mvn dependency resolution don't
help either.

Thanks,
Mate

Re: Limiting dependency resolution depth

Posted by Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

> You mentioned you have an internal repo already, so if the maintainers
> of the remote repos you're trying to pull from won't cooperate, put
> the needed artifacts in your own repo and you'll be good to go.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to avoid. I will do it if there is no other
way, but I find it a bit annoying that it is not possible to cut off
the dependency chain at a certain point.

> For example, I can declare a dependency on Struts and then use
> BeanUtils classes in my code, because I know the Struts dependency
> will give me BeanUtils transitively.

Well, my view is that if you're directly referencing a type, then it
should be a direct dependency in your project -- because the project's
dependencies are not part of the interface, e.g. if Struts' deps get
changed, then your project might break even the interface remains the
same.

> In any case, you can't just 'turn off' transitive dependency
> resolution in Maven.

:(

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I have all of the first level (direct) dependencies resolved.
> As far as my knowledge goes, it's enough to have the first level
> dependencies to compile a Java project,

Not necessarily... it depends on whether the project developers are
relying on transitive dependencies to bring in other stuff they need.

--
Wendy

Re: Limiting dependency resolution depth

Posted by Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, that's a good idea.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Hm,

ping Atlassian to clean-up their Nexus ;)

Also, if you specify an exact dependency with some version (let's say the
timestamped one in this repo) in the depMgt of the POM you are building, it
should override all transitive deps your build tries to pull in.

Thanks,
~t~

Posted by Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Mate,

Posted by Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
Hi Mate,

you can, as a workaround, download the pom.xml of your dependency and copy those dependencies into your own pom.xml (or another one which only contains those). Then change/add the "scope" of all those dependencies to "provided", which should effectively disable deeper dependency resolution.

Stefan

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:56:49 +0000
Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Tamas,
>
> 1) Sources are checked out from SVN to the local drive.
> 2) Yes, missing dependencies. The problems stem from things like
> missing maven-metadata files in the public repos. (I've checked that,
> the repo maintainers do know about the inconsistencies, but they
> refuse to fix it.)
> 3) I've done all of that, and I've manually checked the online repos
> -- the dependency chain is broken, -U, :purge-local-repository does
> not help, and my network connection is all right.
>
> I could go and fetch all the required jars/wars/etc. manually and
> deploy them into my internal repo, but I want to avoid that if it's
> possible.
>
> Udv,
> Mate
>

> 2010/12/10 Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Okay, but to be able to help, we need more:
> >
> > 1) where are the sources you try to build? (especially POM)
> > 2) what is the failure? "dependency resolution fails" as missing a
> > dependency or what?
> > 3) check for network failures on your side, and repeat builds with -U to
> > force maven to try again (the fact that a dep was not found is cached)
> >

> > Thanks,
> > ~t~
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Mate Varga <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm pretty new to Java and Maven, so my question may be very naive
> >> and/or stupid, apologies for that.
> >> I'm trying to compile an open-source project (if that matters, it's
> >> https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/4832 ), which is supposed
> >> to be built with Maven. I've got Maven 3 installed (Apache Maven 3.0.1
> >> (r1038046; 2010-11-23 10:58:32+0000)). This pretty small project
> >> depends on a larger one (Atlassian JIRA), which has some Maven
> >> support, but the public repos are not well maintained, and there are a
> >> lot of broken dependencies, therefore the dependency resolution
> >> process fails.
> >> However, I have all of the first level (direct) dependencies resolved.
> >> As far as my knowledge goes, it's enough to have the first level
> >> dependencies to compile a Java project, and that's exactly what I
> >> want. Is there a way to tell Maven to stop resolving >2 level
> >> dependencies, and just try compiling the project? I tried to Google
> >> for this, no luck; and the guides on mvn dependency resolution don't
> >> help either.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mate

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,