Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by JO...@catholic-doc.org on 2009/03/30 20:45:37 UTC

Slow servlet response under WinXP Pro

Hello!

I am working on a servlet application.  It is a data entry application
that reads data from a Navision database, and writes data to MySQL.  Here
is the setup:

WinXP Pro with Service Pack 3 (dev. box) / Windows 2003 Server (prod. box)
Apache 2.2.11
Tomcat 6.0.18
MySQL 5.1.30
MySQL Connector 5.1.7

Driver for MySQL:  org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
Driver for Navision: sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver

There is no native JDBC driver for Navision, so I have to use the ODBC
version.

I am having a problem with the time it takes to display a screen, when
there is database activity going on.  It can take anywhere from 30 seconds
to 90 seconds for the screen to appear.  This is not the time it takes
Tomcat to start up for the first time, it is long after that point.

I think I may have found the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. All
of our systems (including the production server) have Symantec virus
software running.  When I turn the virus checking off, the application
runs very well, when I turn the virus checking on, I experience the slow
screen display.

I googled for conflicts of Tomcat with virus scanning software, and only
found reference to the fact that it can cause performance problems.  But,
I could not find a solution, other than turning off the virus scanning.
Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?  I have been told that
turning off the virus scanning on the production box is not an option.  I
have also been told that Linux is not an option.

I have gone through the Symantec software, and can not find a way to
exclude Tomcat, etc. from its process.  Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Jon Oman

Re: [OT] Slow servlet response under WinXP Pro

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Slow servlet response under WinXP Pro

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Chris,

my experience with those scanners (slowest on top):

- Symantec (Norton)
- Kaspersky
- McAffee

However, those "experiences" are based on workstations only.

I do know that at least some of those scanners do have different
enterprise soltutions.

However, I guess "experiences" may vary, so you have to measure.
Measuring only works in a defined environment, so that even if there
/were/ any benchmarks, they might not mirror the situation within
/your/ environment.

Therefore, IMHO, if Linux is not an option for some weird political
reason, I'd ask those AV-vendors to get me a version which I could
test for a month. After 3 months of tests you should know which
scanner is best for your requirements.

Coming back to the OP's problem:

For a quick solution /knowing/ that my actual scanner is the
bottleneck, I definately would give some different scanners a try and
see if that helps.

Cheers

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: [OT] Slow servlet response under WinXP Pro

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Slow servlet response under WinXP Pro

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Jon,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM,  <JO...@catholic-doc.org> wrote:

> There is no native JDBC driver for Navision, so I have to use the ODBC
> version.

ODBC is usually already a show-stopper on Java

> I think I may have found the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. All
> of our systems (including the production server) have Symantec virus
> software running.

Well, maybe you should use an /anti"-virus-software....
Symantec will slow down the process.

>  When I turn the virus checking off, the application
> runs very well, when I turn the virus checking on, I experience the slow
> screen display

So your problem is not Tomcat since Tomcat is not aware of any
virus-protection nor interacts it with it.
As long as you keep Symnatic running with your current configuration,
you'll have to face the performance-problems.
I'll bet my bottom penny that if you use a different servlet-cpntainer
such as Resin, the problems will persist.

> Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Erm - use Linux? But...

> I have been told that
> turning off the virus scanning on the production box is not an option.  I
> have also been told that Linux is not an option.

Well, maybe try a different scanner? Ever tried McAffee?

> Where do I go from here?

I suggest to Symantec's support-site

Sorry that I don't have any good news for you...

Gregor

Posted by Wesley Acheson <we...@gmail.com>.
Can you not use these instructions to exclude the directories in question

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2002072314000354?Open&docid=2003033115550554&nsf=ent-gate.nsf&view=docid

Regards,

Wes

Posted by Tommy Pham <to...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jon,

> I am working on a servlet application.  It is a data entry application
> that reads data from a Navision database, and writes data to MySQL.  Here
> is the setup:
>
> WinXP Pro with Service Pack 3 (dev. box) / Windows 2003 Server (prod. box)
> Apache 2.2.11
> Tomcat 6.0.18
> MySQL 5.1.30
> MySQL Connector 5.1.7
>
> Driver for MySQL:  org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

Looking at the source for the connector, you might as well use the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
since the org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver just extends the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.  I remember
reading somewhere that org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver is for backward compatibility for older apps.
It will be phased out eventually.  You're recommended to use com.mysql.jdbc.Driver for
new application development.

> Driver for Navision: sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver
>
> There is no native JDBC driver for Navision, so I have to use the ODBC
> version.
>
> I am having a problem with the time it takes to display a screen, when
> there is database activity going on.  It can take anywhere from 30 seconds
> to 90 seconds for the screen to appear.  This is not the time it takes
> Tomcat to start up for the first time, it is long after that point.
>
> I think I may have found the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. All
> of our systems (including the production server) have Symantec virus
> software running.  When I turn the virus checking off, the application
> runs very well, when I turn the virus checking on, I experience the slow
> screen display.

From what you describe, this problem doesn't seem to be Tomcat related