Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Pao, Vanessa" <vp...@harris.com> on 2011/08/19 18:22:07 UTC

Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Hello All,

  My team is using James 3.0 beta2 in one of our environments. We have James installed on a CentOS machine and modified database.properties to use a MySQL instance on a Windows machine. When we run jconsole on the CentOS machine and try to initiate a database restore using mailboxmanager's copy method (trying to copy from maildir-mailboxmanager to jpa-mailboxmanager), we get the following exception:

java.lang.Exception
        at org.apache.james.container.spring.mailbox.MailboxCopierManagement.copy(MailboxCopierManagement.java:83)

I'm thinking whatever outbound port the JMX interface is using to connect to the Windows machine might be blocked. Does this sound right? What port does JMX use? Does it expect the database to be on the same machine?

Thank you very much,

Vanessa Pao

Re: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Sai,

So no exeception in the log.
Any other lines that show the copy process is started, or ongoing?

To be sure, I would configure James to use the maildir and test
mailboxes are fine via a mail client (thunderbird...).

After, I would do the same but with the JPA MySQL configuration and
create a test mailbox simply to be sure James is working fine with the
configured MySQL.

One more small question: you are trying to copy from maildir to jpa.
Does this mean you succeeded to copy from jpa to maildir? If I remember
well, you were trying to copy from jpa to jcr the last time.

Thx.

Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

I followed the steps given below for Beta2 version instead of Beta3 because
we have really tested our application using James3 Beta2 and ready for
upgrade. The error I am getting while using Mailbox copier is below:

************************
INFO  14:04:12,042 | org.apache.james.container.spring.Main | Apache James
Server is successfully started in 21633 milliseconds.
ERROR 14:23:55,067 |
org.apache.james.container.spring.mailbox.MailboxCopierManagement | An
exception occured during the copy process
org.apache.james.mailbox.MailboxNotFoundException
    at
org.apache.james.mailbox.maildir.MaildirStore.loadMailbox(MaildirStore.java:109)
    at
org.apache.james.mailbox.maildir.mail.MaildirMailboxMapper.visitUsersForMailboxList(MaildirMailboxMapper.java:267)
    at
org.apache.james.mailbox.maildir.mail.MaildirMailboxMapper.list(MaildirMailboxMapper.java:208)
    at
org.apache.james.mailbox.store.StoreMailboxManager.list(StoreMailboxManager.java:533)
    at
org.apache.james.mailbox.copier.MailboxCopierImpl.copyMailboxes(MailboxCopierImpl.java:82)
    at
org.apache.james.container.spring.mailbox.MailboxCopierManagement.copy(MailboxCopierManagement.java:87)
    at
    at
    at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.StandardMBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(StandardMBeanIntrospector.java:93)
    at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.StandardMBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(StandardMBeanIntrospector.java:27)
    at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanIntrospector.invokeM(MBeanIntrospector.java:208)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.PerInterface.invoke(PerInterface.java:120)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanSupport.invoke(MBeanSupport.java:262)
    at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
    at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1427)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1265)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1360)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor68.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
    at
    at
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
INFO  14:28:14,993 |
org.apache.james.container.spring.context.JamesServerApplicationContext |
Closing
org.apache.james.container.spring.context.JamesServerApplicationContext@18aaa1e:
startup date [Sun Aug 28 14:03:50 EDT 2011]; root of context hierarchy
INFO  14:28:15,388 | james.imapserver | Dispose IMAP Service
INFO  14:28:15,653 | james.imapserver | Dispose IMAP Service done
INFO  14:28:15,653 | james.pop3server | Dispose POP3 Service
INFO  14:28:15,663 | james.pop3server | Dispose POP3 Service done
INFO  14:28:15,663 | james.lmtpserver | Dispose LMTP Service
INFO  14:28:15,671 | james.lmtpserver | Dispose LMTP Service done
INFO  14:28:15,671 | james.smtpserver | Dispose SMTP Service
INFO  14:28:15,685 | james.smtpserver | Dispose SMTP Service done
INFO  14:28:15,686 | james.mailspooler |
org.apache.james.mailetcontainer.impl.JamesMailSpooler dispose...
INFO  14:28:15,803 | james.mailspooler | Stop
org.apache.james.mailetcontainer.impl.JamesMailSpooler: dequeuer-1
INFO  14:28:15,804 | james.mailspooler | Stop
org.apache.james.mailetcontainer.impl.JamesMailSpooler: dequeuer-2
INFO  14:28:15,804 | james.mailspooler |
org.apache.james.mailetcontainer.impl.JamesMailSpooler thread shutdown
completed.
************************

I have taken backup before calling restore and the same backup worked with
3.0-SNAPSHOT version and it is throwing error using 3.0-Beta2 saying mailbox
not found.

Is there any specific step that I missed?

Thanks, Sai

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Damned it!

> [...]

>> your restore on that version (http://james.apache.org/**
>> download.cgi#Apache_James_**Server<http://james.apache.org/download.cgi#Apache_James_Server>
>> )
>>
>> Thx.
>>

>> On 22/08/11 12:09, Saibabu Vallurupalli wrote:
>>
>>>   Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> You remembered correct. Last time I was trying to copy mails from JPA to
>>> JCR
>>> and JCR to JPA and was not successful on Windows. So, We have got a linux
>>> environment and trying to use maildir functionality.
>>>
>>> I was successful in taking backup from JPA to MailDir on Linux (CentOs).
>>> Now, I am trying to restore and having problems.
>>>
>>> Backup version is 3.0-M3-SNAPSHOT upgraded version is 3.0-Beta2 version.
>>>
>>> I will try to use the same jvm as James is running and also will try the

Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Sai,

The very good news is that you took backup from M3-SNAPSHOT JPA to
maildir. An additional good news is that you would configure M3-SNAPSHOT
to work with that backuped version (simply read mailboxes for example).

If you can access that backuped maildir version with your M3-SNAPSHOT,
I'm very confident that you will be able to restore it to a newer James
version on a JPA mailbox

Btw, we just released yesterday james 3.0-beta3. Don't hesitate to
achieve your restore on that version
(http://james.apache.org/download.cgi#Apache_James_Server)

Thx.

On 22/08/11 12:09, Saibabu Vallurupalli wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> You remembered correct. Last time I was trying to copy mails from JPA to JCR
> and JCR to JPA and was not successful on Windows. So, We have got a linux
> environment and trying to use maildir functionality.
>
> I was successful in taking backup from JPA to MailDir on Linux (CentOs).
> Now, I am trying to restore and having problems.
>
> Backup version is 3.0-M3-SNAPSHOT upgraded version is 3.0-Beta2 version.
>
> I will try to use the same jvm as James is running and also will try the
> other options as suggested.
>
> Thanks, Sai
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Eric Charles<er...@apache.org>  wrote:
>

>> On 22/08/11 03:10, Saibabu Vallurupalli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Vanessa and I work on same project. I reviewed all log files and there are
>>> no errors or exceptions. Though this error got initiated from
>>> MailboxCopierManagement.java line#83 down the line the root cause looks
>>> like
>>> JMX Console related.
>>> The JMX Console is unable to execute copy method. I have installed JDK 7
>>> the
>>> latest version and invoking jConsole from JKD/bin directory. Is this is
>>> the
>>> same way you all try to use jConsole or different? Do we need to set any
>>> classpath to get access to these methods?
>>>

>> I would run JConsole in the same JVM as James is runing.
>> JDK7 is ambitious, and would run in JDK6 to be more sure.
>>
>> There should be nothing to add on the classpath to let it work.
>> James is throwing an Exception on line 83 further a MailboxException giving
>> a message. It seems that JConsole does not display that message.
>>
>> The bad is that we don't log anything. I just committed a patch for this.
>> If you want to use it, you will have to build from source. Btw, which
>> version are you using?
>>
>> Thx.
>>

>>> Please advise.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sai
>>>

>>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Eric Charles
>>> <er...@u-mangate.com>**wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hi Vanessa,

Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>>> JmxBeanServer.java:791)
>>>         At javax.management.remote.rmi.**RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(**
>>> RMIConnectionImpl.java:1447)
>>>         At javax.management.remote.rmi.**RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(**
>>> RMIConnectionImpl.java:89)
>>>         At javax.management.remote.rmi.**RMIConnectionImpl$**
>>> PrivilegedOperation.run(**RMIConnectionImpl.java:1292)
>>>         At javax.management.remote.rmi.**RMIConnectionImple.**
>>> doPrivilegedOperation(**RMIConnectionImpl.java:1380)
>>>         At javax.management.remote.rmi.**RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(**
>>> RMIConnectionImpl.java:812)
>>>         At sun.reflect.**GeneratedMethodAccessor69.**invoke(Unknown
>>> Source)
>>>         At sun.reflect.**DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.**invoke(**
>>> DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.**java:43)
>>>         At java.lang.reflect.Method.**invoke(Method.java:601)
>>>         At sun.rmi.server.**UnicastServerRef.dispatch(**

Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Vanessa,

--
Eric
http://about.echarles.net

RE: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

--
Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: Questions about JMX interface and James 3.0 beta2

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Eric