Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alexis Huxley <ah...@gmx.net> on 2002/07/15 20:00:17 UTC

long change log entry lost on failed commit - tmp file somewhere?

Hi again ...

It's happened a few times that I've done 'svn commit',
and prepared quite a long change log entry, only to
have the commit fail.

I check /tmp, /var/tmp, $TMP_DIR, but there's no
copy of it there.

Maybe I've missed the location, but if not and the log
entry hasn't been saved, would it be possible to do
so? So, like:

	dione$ svn commit
	<edit long change log entry>
	<commit fails>
	Your commit message has been saved in <wherever>
	dione$

?

Actually, if the SVN team think this is a desirable
feature, then it's something trivial enough for *me*
to implement, perhaps I could use it as first step
into SVN code, and send a patch? :-)

Alexis

Re: long change log entry lost on failed commit - tmp file somewhere?

Posted by Alexis Huxley <ah...@gmx.net>.
> > to implement, perhaps I could use it as first step

                  ^^^^^^^

> > into SVN code, and send a patch? :-)
>
> Go for it, but don't underestimate the complexity of the task.  All
> the log message stuff goes through a funky callback/baton interface,
> and when I recently spent half an hour trying to make this very
> change, I ended up giving up (and I *know* the code, because I helped
> to write it :-))

Ok, understood: I will look, but don't hold your breath
waiting for the results.

Re: long change log entry lost on failed commit - tmp file somewhere?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> I swear that this code *does* exist already... I remember *seeing* it
> happen to me before:  "your message has been saved in XXXX".

Yeah, I thought so too!  There was even an issue filed about it.

Alexis, can you see if you can find that code, and figure out
whether/why it's not getting executed?

-K

Re: long change log entry lost on failed commit - tmp file somewhere?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> > Maybe I've missed the location, but if not and the log
> > entry hasn't been saved, would it be possible to do
> > so? So, like:
> >
> > 	dione$ svn commit
> > 	<edit long change log entry>
> > 	<commit fails>
> > 	Your commit message has been saved in <wherever>
> > 	dione$
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Actually, if the SVN team think this is a desirable
> > feature, then it's something trivial enough for *me*
> > to implement, perhaps I could use it as first step
> > into SVN code, and send a patch? :-)
>

> I swear that this code *does* exist already... I remember *seeing* it
> happen to me before:  "your message has been saved in XXXX".
>
> Maybe that codepath isn't executing anymore for some reason?

That code used to be in there, then I rewrote the whole way the log
message handling is done, and that feature got lost in the mix.
Sorry, all.

Re: long change log entry lost on failed commit - tmp file somewhere?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.