Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Kevin J. Menard, Jr." <ni...@negativetwenty.net> on 2004/10/11 16:36:14 UTC

Groovestry Examples

Hi,

I've just finally gotten around to looking at Groovy and Groovestry.
Are there any examples out there showing how Groovy can streamline
Tapestry development?  I'm sure someone out there has done something I
would never even have thought of.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Groovestry Examples

Posted by Michael Henderson <mh...@mac.com>.
Hi,

I  am one of the authors of Grrovestry. I have no examples so far. I do
however have a rationale for using Groovestry
as opposed to Java:

1. Using a scripting language allows a less qualified developer,
perhaps even a web-designer familiar with PHP
      to script lightweight page behavior and page navigation logic.

2. In a web-publishing environment  where layout, page-flow, and even
some logic can change regularly and changes
     have to be pushed out quickly a scripting environment makes logic
changes as easy to make as layout changes.

3. Emergency bug-fixes can be made in place on a running application
(dangerous, but it can happen).

But most important of all:

Since scripting in applications is often reserved for lightweight
processing and "glue" code, scripting will assist in maintaining a
layered architecture with Business logic implemented by domain experts
in Java beans vended from a HiveMind or Spring container and encourage
lightweight component methods which link the UI to the logic.

If you're developing inside an IDE where debugging can pick up code
changes this rationale most likely does not apply.

Richard Hensley, the co-author of Groovestry no doubt has his own
rationale.

Mike