Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/08 03:53:06 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Access log stops - might be a mod_python symptom

On 8/7/05, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
> Including CoreDumpDirectory (/var/log/Apache2/ set to wwwrun and www
> group and user) didn't collect any info. That directory remains empty to
> this day.

You need to set ulimit and possibly kernel parameters to make sure
that the user running apache (generally root) can dump core.

> Here is the last set of accesses in access_log before it goes silent ...

I have never heard of any bug in apache that would cause access logs
not to be written.  The most likely cause is a bad configuration.
Check your CustomLog directives.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Access log stops [Thanks]

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 8/7/05, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Including CoreDumpDirectory (/var/log/Apache2/ set to wwwrun and www
>>group and user) didn't collect any info. That directory remains empty to
>>this day.
>

> You need to set ulimit and possibly kernel parameters to make sure
> that the user running apache (generally root) can dump core.
>

>>Here is the last set of accesses in access_log before it goes silent ...
>

> I have never heard of any bug in apache that would cause access logs
> not to be written.  The most likely cause is a bad configuration.
> Check your CustomLog directives.

Spot on. access_log has restarted.

I (or Kate or Kwrite) had inadvertently inserted a carriage-return in
the conf file at that point. I went through everything and found a few
more word-wrapped lines with hard returns and fixed them.

I'm about to retry mod_python

Thanks heaps

mike