Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Dennis Kubes <nu...@dragonflymc.com> on 2006/05/24 17:49:28 UTC

Debugging DFS and MapReduce through Eclipse

Has anyone been able to successfully debug DFS and MapReduce servers
running though eclipse.  I can get all the servers started and can run
MapReduce tasks inside of eclipse but I am getting both classpath errors
and debugging stalls.

I am just curious what kinds of setups people have for doing large scale
development of DFS and MapReduce?

Dennis

Re: Debugging DFS and MapReduce through Eclipse

Posted by Dennis Kubes <nu...@dragonflymc.com>.
Ben,

Thanks for the response.  I was trying to set it up to run inside of
eclipse instead of remote debugging.  And I finally got it working.  I
have both the nutch and hadoop projects pulled from SVN so I am starting
the dfs and mapreduce servers from the hadoop codebase.  I am starting
the servers all on one box inside of eclipse.  Setting up the servers to
run in psuedo-distributed mode through eclipse is pretty easy, you just
have to have launchers with the correct configurations (parameters).

If you want to debug the servers and you want to do it inside of eclipse
and not through remote debugging (such as is the case if you are doing
it on windows without cygwin), the setup is not so obvious.  The key is
when you are creating debug launchers, especially for TaskTracker, you
have to include the nutch project and the nutch project has to export
its plugin directory and all the jars in the lib directory.  This way
the TaskTracker can find the correct plugins and source code when
running tasks.  Again the key is the classpath of the launchers, not of
the projects themselves.

If anyone needs a more detailed explanation on how to set this up, send
me an email.

Dennis

Posted by Ben Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>.