Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kuchekar <ku...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/29 21:43:16 UTC

Regarding Solr Faceting on the query response.

Hi All,

         Is there a way for faceting only on the resultset returned, rather
then all the indexed docs?

         The response time for solr query with faceting switched on, takes
a lot of time to respond. I see that, it tends to get the distinct values
in the facet field and then give the count for each of the distinct value.
I believe, since its getting all the distinct values for the facet field
from all the indexed docs, the response time is long.

e.g.

    The distinct values for facet field 'company' are
'Apple,Bose,Chevron,Dell,EMC...'.

    Solr Query for person: q= company=Apple AND technologies:java

    Gives me following result

    "facet_counts": {
 "facet_queries": {}, "facet_fields": { "company": [ "Apple", 25, "BOSE", 26,
"Walmart", 0, "Oracle", 25,

 ...   "Microsoft",
 34, "ATT", 45
] }, "facet_dates": {}, "facet_ranges": {} }

As you can see, query fetched all the distinct values for the 'Company'
along with their count. Is there a way by which I can get the faceting work
directly on the resultset, rather than all the indexed documents.

Thanks.
Kuchekar, Nilesh

Re: Regarding Solr Faceting on the query response.

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Ok.

"BOSE", 0, "Walmart", 0, are not a problem because you can heal it by
facet.mincount.

"Oracle", 25, seems to be a problem. You need to find which documents
provided hits to this facet value. lets add filter parameter
fq=company:Oracle and you'll have 25 results which provide this facet
value. I suppose you have some unexpected query parser configuration you
can check it by specifying debugQuery=true parameter. Also, perhaps the
indexing configuration might not be correct eg some document has both
companies Apple and Oracle.
Once again, facets are counted against the result docset.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
 <mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: Regarding Solr Faceting on the query response.

Posted by Kuchekar <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mikhail,

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.

Posted by Jérôme Étévé <je...@gmail.com>.
On 30 January 2014 17:35, Kuchekar <ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mikhail,
>
>                  I would like my faceting to run only on my resultset
> returned as in only on numFound, rather than the whole index.

As far as I know, unless you define filter tagging and exclusion, this
is the default facet behaviour.

Are you sure no such things are defined?

Can you send your full solr query?

J.

--
Jerome Eteve
+44(0)7738864546

Re: Regarding Solr Faceting on the query response.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nilesh,

I am not sure the faceting code does what you think it does. However,
there are different options and you can experiment with whichever one
is best for you. They are controlled by the facet.method parameter:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#facet.method

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

RES: Regarding Solr Faceting on the query response.

________________________________

Posted by Kuchekar <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mikhail,

Posted by Alexei Martchenko <al...@martchenko.com.br>.
I believe its not possible to facet only the page you are, facet is
supposed to work only with the full resultset. I never tried but i've never
seen a way this could be done.

alexei martchenko
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/alexeiramone> |
Linkedin<http://br.linkedin.com/in/alexeimartchenko>|
Steam <http://steamcommunity.com/id/alexeiramone/> |
4sq<https://pt.foursquare.com/alexeiramone>| Skype: alexeiramone |
Github <https://github.com/alexeiramone> | (11) 9 7613.0966 |

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Hello

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
 <mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: Regarding Solr Faceting on the query response.

Posted by Nilesh Kuchekar <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.