Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Henrik Sundberg <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/19 08:00:09 UTC

Is it ok to rename a repository?

I created a big, but not wildly used, repository with a poor name.
Is it possiple to just rename the repository, at the same location?
I can do this when no one else is using it.
Is there a danger in this?

I understand that checkouts will need to be relocated.

/$

Re: Is it ok to rename a repository?

Posted by Henrik Sundberg <st...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/19, John Waycott <ja...@cox.net>:
> Henrik Sundberg wrote:
> > I created a big, but not wildly used, repository with a poor name.
> > Is it possiple to just rename the repository, at the same location?
> > I can do this when no one else is using it.
> > Is there a danger in this?
> >
> > I understand that checkouts will need to be relocated.
> >

> We have renamed repositories a few times. Any svn:externals references
> to the old name will have to be updated and build scripts that do
> automated checkouts need to be reviewed as well. If you do use
> svn:externals be aware that old revisions that get from the old
> repository name won't work anymore. Other than that, I can't think of
> any issues.
>
> -- John

Thanks all of you. I renamed the repository and it worked like a
charm. The repository was not using Trac yet, and no externals where
referencing it.
The repository had an _temp-suffix, and I feared some admin would remove it...

/$

Re: Is it ok to rename a repository?

Posted by John Waycott <ja...@cox.net>.

Posted by richard hornsby <ri...@gmail.com>.
I had to rename a repo yesterday and the only issue I had was (not
subversion's problem) that I had to change the trac.ini variable
repository_dir to point at the new location, and resync the trac project.

$ trac-admin /var/trac/projects/projectname resync

I only mention it for completeness because lots of folks use svn and trac
together.

 -rj

Posted by Henrik Sundberg <st...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/19, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:
> On Feb 19, 2008, at 02:00, Henrik Sundberg wrote:
>
>  > I created a big, but not wildly used, repository with a poor name.
>  > Is it possiple to just rename the repository, at the same location?
>  > I can do this when no one else is using it.
>  > Is there a danger in this?
>

> No danger that I can see.
>

>  > I understand that checkouts will need to be relocated.
>

> Depending on the protocol you use to access the repository and how
>  you did the checkout, you may or may not need to relocate the working
>  copies.

Thanks!
/$

Re: Is it ok to rename a repository?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 19, 2008, at 02:00, Henrik Sundberg wrote:

> I created a big, but not wildly used, repository with a poor name.
> Is it possiple to just rename the repository, at the same location?
> I can do this when no one else is using it.
> Is there a danger in this?

No danger that I can see.