Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Curt Gran <cu...@execpc.com> on 2000/02/27 09:48:22 UTC

Help: Everything but the last step?

Hi,
	I'm not a guru at installing packages but after a lot of downloads and
tinkering I have JServ going and JVM.

	The problem I'm running into is the last step of the installation where is
says to try:

http://localhost/Cocoon.xml

	The thing I don't understand about this is that Cocoon.xml is not a file
anywhere on the system.  Is this a response from cocoon that cocoon knows
that Cocoon.xml is a command to itself and not a page in the html root index?

	JServ seems to be running and the Hello servlet works.  What is the
problem?  I'm pretty sure it's something stupid like I need to create that
file but if I do then what do I put in it?  I would rather but a sample in
it rather than typing it in myself if that's the case.

	If that's not the case then what?

	One final question.  I know how to stop and start httpd but what file do I
link to in my init.d directory to start JServ on start up or do I need
to?  I do I start and stop JServ so it reloads without having to reboot?

	I'm sorry for these newbie questions but I really would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Curt Gran

Re: Help: Everything but the last step?

Posted by Curt Gran <cu...@execpc.com>.
Milan,
         Thank you for the response.  I looked in the file and that
statement is there and the one next to it is true so it should display but
I cannot get the Cocoon.xml page to display.  It just says that Cocoon.xml
was not found on this server.  At this point I'm not sure what to do.  I do
not have any of the other packages installed like Xerces, etc.  Do I need
those to get this to work? (I'm working on the assumption, No)
         In the install instructions there is a line that says I have to
pass the location of the cocoon.properties file to the servlet zone and
then it gives this line:

servlet.org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initArgs=properties=[path-to-cocoon]/bin/co
coon.properties

I left the default /etc/httpd/conf/jserv/zone.properties file alone but I'm
wondering if the above line needs to go somewhere in order to get Cocoon
working.  I don't know what file that line is suppose to go in? Do I need
this line somewhere to get the Cocoon.xml test working?

I'm asking all this because I don't know why Cocoon doesn't seem to be
working.  When you follow the directions and don't understand them 100%
it's hard to figure out what might be wrong from the list of about a
million possibilties.  I hope someone can help me decipher what is wrong as
I try to learn how all this pieces together.

Thanks again.

Curt

Posted by Curt Gran <cu...@execpc.com>.
Ross,
         I think this is my problem.  When you say zone files for Cocoon
what exactly is that?

         The only zone file I know about is the zone.properties file that
is in the /etc/httpd/conf/jserv/ directory but I don't think that is what
you mean by the zone files for Cocoon.

         I'm trying to understand this whole setup and it's hard when you
don't have the vocabulary.  If you could point me to where that should be
added I would appreciate it.  If it is to be used in a specific servlet
maybe you could use the Hello one or a test one that comes in the
tarball.  Thank you very much.

Curt

Posted by Ross Burton <bu...@dcs.kcl.ac.uk>.

Posted by Ross Burton <bu...@dcs.kcl.ac.uk>.

> On Win98, I have to use my ip address instead of localhost.  This isn't
the
> case on NT.

Add the following to c:\windows\hosts to make this work (in theory):

[cut here]

127.0.0.1        localhost

[cut here]

Ross Burton