Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mighty Tornado <mi...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/23 08:05:59 UTC

Fwd: J2EE on Mac

Hi,

I installed Tomcat on my mac OS X and it's running. I also have Eclipse
Europa. Now I don't think I have J2EE installed - How do I do it?
I went to Sun's website and it gave me an archive with GlassFish which I
don't need.
Can somebody please tell me where I can download the latest J2EE for Mac?
What I need to do to compile servlets with it in Eclipse?

Thank you.

Re: Fwd: J2EE on Mac

Posted by Edoardo Panfili <ed...@aspix.it>.
Mighty Tornado ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Tomcat on my mac OS X and it's running. I also have Eclipse
> Europa. Now I don't think I have J2EE installed - How do I do it?
You can download different eclipse packages, "Eclipse IDE for Java EE
Developers" is more comfortable.

> I went to Sun's website and it gave me an archive with GlassFish which I
> don't need.
> Can somebody please tell me where I can download the latest J2EE for Mac?
Seems also to me that is necessary to download all the bundle. You can
download it and don't use glassfish.

> What I need to do to compile servlets with it in Eclipse?
You don't need J2EE to develope servelts undex OS X, simply insert (in
any way, IE: right-click on you project, select properties, in java
build path, libraries) jsp-api.jar and servlet-api.jat that you can find
in lib folder inside tomcat installation.

If you are building a new project, I think you can use "Dynamic Web
Project" in "Web" Category.

Re: Fwd: J2EE on Mac

Posted by Edoardo Panfili <ed...@aspix.it>.
Mighty Tornado ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Tomcat on my mac OS X and it's running. I also have Eclipse
> Europa. Now I don't think I have J2EE installed - How do I do it?
You can download different eclipse packages, "Eclipse IDE for Java EE
Developers" is more comfortable.

> I went to Sun's website and it gave me an archive with GlassFish which I
> don't need.
> Can somebody please tell me where I can download the latest J2EE for Mac?
Seems also to me that is necessary to download all the bundle. You can
download it and don't use glassfish.

> What I need to do to compile servlets with it in Eclipse?
You don't need J2EE to develope servelts undex OS X, simply insert (in
any way, IE: right-click on you project, select properties, in java
build path, libraries) jsp-api.jar and servlet-api.jat that you can find
in lib folder inside tomcat installation.

If you are building a new project, I think you can use "Dynamic Web
Project" in "Web" Category.

Edoardo

Re: J2EE on Mac

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> That was already specified: the OP wants to compile servlets; nothing beyond a JDK is needed.
>
>  - Chuck
Everything said about J2EE, classpaths etc is perfectly correct.

However, the other thing the OP said was that they want to use Eclipse
on a Mac. To build web applications with eclipse the best thing to do is
to install the appropriate web development add-ons - we use the Web
Standard Tools (WST) options.

This is best installed using the software updates option within Eclipse.
After having done that and configured a local tomcat installation as a
'Server' within Eclipse you are, as they say, "good to go" and all you
need to do is to select a new Dynamic Web Project when creating a new
project.

Eclipse then takes care of all the library and classpath issues.

There is no need to download or install anything other than a binary
tomcat, eclipse and then, within that, eclipse WST (or the combined
package in the first place.)

Let me just add that the above is an abridged summary to try to get the
OP on the right path, not to start a long flame about the advantages and
disadvantages of eclipse!

Regards

Alan Chaney

RE: J2EE on Mac

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: NBW [mailto:emailnbw@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: J2EE on Mac
>
> The statement "installing JEE usually causes problems"
> implies JEE is something apart from Tomcat that doesn't
> play well with it.

There's no such implication; unfortunately, new users of any J2EE pieces have this annoying habit of putting the J2EE jars in inappropriate places, such as global CLASSPATH or Tomcat's lib directory - that will cause problems.  The OP is obviously inexperienced in the area, and adding the full J2EE libraries (or even any J2EE components beyond what Tomcat supplies) to his/her particular mix is not necessary to achieve the stated goals.

Re: J2EE on Mac

Posted by NBW <em...@gmail.com>.
Tomcat is not J2EE, and Glassfish is not J2EE. J2EE is a set of specs.
Tomcat contains implementations of some of them. Glassfish happens to bundle
implementation of all of them. Tomcat provides a piece of the EE stack,
installing the Glassfish application server bundle will you get one
implementation of the entire stack. The statement "installing JEE usually
causes problems" implies JEE is something apart from Tomcat that doesn't
play well with it. That's wrong. You can install other J2EE pieces along
side Tomcat just fine and they don't have to be from Glassfish. For example
you can install JMS from ActiveMQ and get your JMS piece of the EE stack
from them.  What you are really trying to say is that installing other
Servlet implementations along side Tomcat's can cause problems. Even that
statement is incorrect. I run Tomcat along side a full Glassfish install
just fine, you just have to point to the libraries you want to use (Tomcat's
or Glassfish's servlet API for example) on a per project basis depending on
where your project is going to be deployed.

The question for the OP is how much of the J2EE stack do you want/need?

RE: J2EE on Mac

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Fwd: J2EE on Mac

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.
Mighty Tornado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Tomcat on my mac OS X and it's running. I also have Eclipse
> Europa. Now I don't think I have J2EE installed - How do I do it?
> I went to Sun's website and it gave me an archive with GlassFish which I
> don't need.
> Can somebody please tell me where I can download the latest J2EE for Mac?
> What I need to do to compile servlets with it in Eclipse?
>
> Thank you.
>

> !DSPAM:49a24c91167621527717022!

Dear Mighty,

Re-reading your email again, you say that you installed Europa. AFAIK
Europa comes with WTP installed. All you need to do is to download a
tomcat release, configure that as a Server and then create a Dynamic Web
Project. See the tutorials in the eclipse help. Works for Mac, PC,
Linux, Solaris.

Regards

Alan Chaney

( a long time eclipse user with a major love-hate relationship with eclipse)

Re: J2EE on Mac

Posted by NBW <em...@gmail.com>.
A system wide CLASSPATH is a bad idea to begin with. Keep you classpath
scoped to you application/application server and you will never have this
issue.

RE: J2EE on Mac

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.