Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Williard <jw...@pcsafe.com> on 2006/01/05 06:01:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0 or 2.2

I am building a set of web servers that will be running both Apache 1.3.x
and a version of the 2.x branches.  My question is quite simple... Which
version is recommended?  Is the 2.2 branch stable enough and supported
enough or should I install 2.0 for the time being and upgrade to 2.2 in the
future?

----
Thank You,
Jason Williard

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 or 2.2

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

If the application is "Currently" only working on Apache 1.3, then I would
keep it there.

If you are going to start "Development" today, and it takes you a while
to get the new application online.  Then I would look at having the 2.x on
line also.  If the technology and any bugs are present as of today, it
really is a moot issue.  You do not have the application online or
ready to go yet currently.

If you want to know what is going on with 2.x then putting up a server in
a LAB environment only would be a good idea. That way you can test it
and see if the beta is going as planned, and also keep the patches up to
date so that you have a good idea on how your beta is running compared
to the 2.x version of apache.

HTH

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thursday 05 January 2006 05:01, Jason Williard wrote:
> I am building a set of web servers that will be running both Apache 1.3.x

... three years obsolete ...

> and a version of the 2.x branches.  My question is quite simple... Which
> version is recommended?  Is the 2.2 branch stable enough and supported
> enough or should I install 2.0 for the time being and upgrade to 2.2 in the
> future?

2.2 is the best-supported version by the developers.  2.0 probably still has
more third-party modules that work out-of-the-box.  But the transition from
2.0 to 2.2 is not difficult, so upgrading a third-party module shouldn't be
more than an hours work for a programmer.  And after the first one - when
you know what to expect - it'll be a five minute job.

--
Nick Kew