Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pietro Paolini <pi...@ocado.com> on 2016/06/30 16:59:03 UTC

Apache Benchmark SNI SSL

Hi all,

I have tried to use the ab tool which comes with the apache package of my
Ubuntu 14.04 distro to stress test a web server, such server lies behind a
CDN and the use of the TLS Server Name Indication is required.

Unfortunately my ab binary does not cope well with that and this is what I
get:

dpkg -l *apache2-utils*

 apache2-utils           2.4.7-1ubuntu4.1 amd64

Benchmarking api.sit.cymesfood.osp.tech (be patient)...SSL handshake failed
(1).
139742942701280:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3
alert h
andshake
failure:s23_clnt.c:770:
..done

Googling the problem I found people with similar issues who have re-built
the apache source tarball after having applied some patches or manually
having modified the code.

https://blogs.oracle.com/meena/entry/apachebench_ab_and_sni

Such guide is based on httpd-2.3.11-beta

The issue with that is that I do not have much diff context to see where
the changes should be applied and the starting tarball is different
httpd-2.3.11 vs httpd-2.4.20, furthermore  I though that asking directly
the community involved in the project could give me a better idea about
what's needed.

I have built the httpd-2-.4.20 tarball but the problem is still there, has
it been fixed in newer version ? is there a workaround for that ?

Thanks,
Pietro

--

Notice:  This email is confidential and may contain copyright material of
members of the Ocado Group. Opinions and views expressed in this message

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and
delete all copies of this message. Please note that it is your
responsibility to scan this message for viruses.

Fetch and Sizzle are trading names of Speciality Stores Limited, a member
of the Ocado Group.

References to the “Ocado Group” are to Ocado Group plc (registered in
England and Wales with number 7098618) and its subsidiary undertakings (as
that expression is defined in the Companies Act 2006) from time to time.
The registered office of Ocado Group plc is Titan Court, 3 Bishops Square,
Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Herts. AL10 9NE.

Re: Apache Benchmark SNI SSL

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
This is the ASF community mailing list.

The AB tool is part of the HTTPD project:

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/ab.html

Please subscribe to the HTTPD user mailing list and ask there:

http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html