Posted to user@struts.apache.org by measwel <ma...@yahoo.com.au> on 2009/09/04 14:19:43 UTC

Basic architecture question

Dear all,

I am trying to get a basic architecture off the ground for my webbapp
development work. I plan on using:

struts 2.1.6
spring 2.5.6
tiles 2.0.6
hibernate 3

As I am early in the development work, I can still change everything at
small cost. That is why I would like to ask for advice from people who
walked this route before:

1) Any pitfalls to avoid when using the above technologies in conjunction?
2) Better alternatives available?
3) Use hibernate with JPA or without?
4) How should I set up autowiring in my application?
5) Right now the app is layered as such:

- .jsp pages decorated by tiles2 referencing struts actions
- struts action classes extending ActionSupport. They have the same name as
the jsp page referencing them.
- model classes like User.java annotated @Entity for hibernate
- DAO interfaces and implementations like UserDAO.java and UserDB implements
UserDAO.

6) I dont seem to have service classes. Do I need them?
7) I do not know how to autowire the model classes into the action classes.

Thank you,
MPK

Re: Basic architecture question

Posted by Rusty Wright <ru...@gmail.com>.
I don't have a lot of hibernate experience but my memory, from reading that big hibernate book, is that you get more flexibility by using hibernate sessions instead of jpa entity managers.  For me, strict jpa compatibility wasn't a requirement so I used hibernate sessions (via spring).

Re: Help requested

Posted by Paweł Wielgus <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
read this [1] it might help.

[1] http://poulwiel.blogspot.com/2009/09/config-browser-plugin-in-struts2.html

Best greetings,
Paweł Wielgus.

Help requested

Posted by measwel <ma...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Paweł Wielgus <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
just as a side note, i find convention plugin very useful,
and i haven't find it in your description so i'm just recomending it.

Best greetings,
Paweł Wielgus.