Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de> on 2004/11/22 09:01:59 UTC

new MyFaces-Website on i.a.o

Hi all,

I just updated the website of MyFaces.
See here:
http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/

It is very basic, but a first point.
SRC for the site is in cvs
(src/documentation/content/xdocs)

Regards,
Matthias

Re: New "permanent" attribute to x:aliasBean

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
You're right, it works great.

Thanks for the trick.

Sylvain.

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Sylvain,

Re: new MyFaces-Website on i.a.o

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
I use eclipse 3.1, and it's bundled with ant 1.6.2
I think eclipse 3.0 uses ant 1.6 too.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Manfred,

> Do you really think so?
> Having the handbook in forrest sources would also enable us
> to generate
> offline docs or a pdf handbook, is that right or did I
> confuse something? So, IMHO, the better place for the docs is
> forrest. Of course some sort
> of docs would also be located in the wiki, but I would rather
> see these
> as tips & tricks. There could also be a place in the wiki
> where "junior
> contributors" would put their component docs, that one of us
> committers
> puts into forrest later. And "senior contributors" can also
> send their
> docs as patch to the forrest files.

fine! I like this idea more :-)
okay, jun. and sen. contributors seams to be a good
thing. And of cource wiki is more for tips and tricks.

And if someone would add content on our "handbook"
they can post it in wiki.

my +1
;-)

Regards,
Matthia

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:31:17 +0100, Manfred Geiler wrote:
>�There could also be a place in the wiki where "junior contributors"
>�would put their component docs, that one of us committers puts into
>�forrest later. And "senior contributors" can also send their docs
>�as patch to the forrest files.

In conventional Apache nomenclature, we would refer to "junior contributors" as developers and "senior contributors" (with write access) as "committers".

So, in the normal course, people who start contributing to the project become "developers" (by virtue of their contribution), developers who continue to make worthwhile contributions are invited to become "committers".

Committers who contribute toward the long-term health of the project may be invited to become PMC Members. Right now, all the MyFaces committers are also
PMC members, but eventually that may change.

Then, finally, committers who contribute toward the long-term health of the foundation may be invited to become ASF members.

As to wikis, people are working toward integrating wikis with conventional documentation, so you can edit online and bundle it for offline access too, but I don't think we are there yet. So, using a wiki for new documentation and then "promoting" it to Forrest, as people seem to be saying, sounds like a good idea.

Wikis are also good for documentation that you don't want to make ~too~ official, like a list of MyFaces support vendors.

Something I'm trying in Struts is to have links to wiki pages from the conventional documentation, for any comments or corrections people might like to contribute.

The Apache Wiki does mail to the DEV list, like CVS does, so you can keep track of the changes.

-Ted.

Re: new MyFaces-Website on i.a.o

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Hi ... see inline.
>
>>Well, now some quick brainstorming regarding the future of
>>our MyFaces
>>homepage:
>>- We should displace the current www.myfaces.org page as soon as
>>possible. Therefore we should bring all the content into the
>>new page.
>>Should not be a great effort because already many things
>>there (thanks
>>Matthias) and "luckily" there is not too much documentation yet ;-)
>
> yes, but for the components descr. (aka handbook)
> we should use a wiki

Do you really think so?
Having the handbook in forrest sources would also enable us to generate
offline docs or a pdf handbook, is that right or did I confuse something?
So, IMHO, the better place for the docs is forrest. Of course some sort
of docs would also be located in the wiki, but I would rather see these
as tips & tricks. There could also be a place in the wiki where "junior
contributors" would put their component docs, that one of us committers
puts into forrest later. And "senior contributors" can also send their
docs as patch to the forrest files.

>>- The incubator-myfaces page should also have a link to our main page
>
> there is a link to www.myfaces.org, isn't it?
> or do you mean the *legacy* sf-site?

Yes, of course. Sorry, I overlooked it somehow...

>>- There should be a wiki for everyone (not only developers)
>
> Right! for *handbook* and other stuff.
> I guess the guys at infrastructure will be able
> to create a wiki or the incubator guys?
> I mailed Ted on that, perhaps he knows more
> on that.

ok, thanks.

Manfred

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Hi ... see inline.

> Well, now some quick brainstorming regarding the future of
> our MyFaces
> homepage:
> - We should displace the current www.myfaces.org page as soon as
> possible. Therefore we should bring all the content into the
> new page.
> Should not be a great effort because already many things
> there (thanks
> Matthias) and "luckily" there is not too much documentation yet ;-)

yes, but for the components descr. (aka handbook)
we should use a wiki

> - www.myfaces.org should then point to the new page somehow

+1

> - The incubator-myfaces page should also have a link to our main page

there is a link to www.myfaces.org, isn't it?
or do you mean the *legacy* sf-site?

> - There should be a wiki for everyone (not only developers)

Right! for *handbook* and other stuff.
I guess the guys at infrastructure will be able
to create a wiki or the incubator guys?

I mailed Ted on that, perhaps he knows more
on that.

> WDYT?
> Manfred

-Matthias

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Just to do some quick planning...
First I must apologize, that my time spent on MyFaces was minimal in the
last days or weeks. This is because I'm currently working hard on an
important project at my company that does not leave me much air to
breath. I hope that I can manage to spend a few hours next week.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Bill, Manfred, others

Ted mailed me to, I forwarded it to
myfaces-ppmc@incubator.apache.org

Regards,
Matthias

BTW. nightly via crusicontrol sounds fine!
     A great chance to learn this tool ;-)

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.