Posted to user@abdera.apache.org by Chris Berry <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/23 15:51:54 UTC

Problem with JAR naming ( was Re: [Announce] Apache Abdera 0.3.0)

Greetings,
This morning I thought I might switch from my manually created 0.3.0
JARs to the official bits from the Abdera site.
And I noticed a naming discrepancy.

The versions here; http://incubator.apache.org/abdera/#abdera.0.3.0-
incubating
are named, e.g.   abdera.client-0.3.0-incubating.jar   (Note the
abderaDOTclient)

And the versions here;  http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-
repository/org/apache/abdera/
are named "the old way" :: e.g.  abdera-client-0.3.0-incubating.jar
(Note the abderaDASHclient)

This is a problem when creating Maven dependencies.
Should the repo structure above be made to match the new naming?? Or
vise versa??
We need POMs that match.

Thanks,
-- Chris

On Oct 5, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Brian Moseley wrote:

> On 10/5/07, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Apache Abdera community is pleased to announce the 0.3.0-
>> incubating
>> release.
>>
>> You can download binary and source distributions from:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/abdera/0.3.0-incubating
>
> And if you're so inclined, you can grab it from the m2 repository at
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/ .

S'all good  ---   chriswberry at gmail dot com

Re: Problem with JAR naming ( was Re: [Announce] Apache Abdera 0.3.0)

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 10/23/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com> wrote:
> Along these same lines, it concerns me that we're in essence publishing
> two versions of the same release. The one built by ant and the one built
> by maven which is published to the incubating repository. The resulting
> jars will be slightly different.
>
> The easiest way to resolve this IMO is to just have Maven do all the
> release publishing (mvn release:prepare, mvn release:perform
> -DreleaseRepository...). We would have to add another module to the
> maven build to build the release assembly, but that is done easily enough.
>
> The other way is to manually upload POMs & Jars for the artifacts.
>
> I would be more than willing to get the Maven build in shape so that
> releases are possibly with it, but wondering what people think about
> doing releases with Maven in the first place.

As long as someone is willing to do the leg work I have no problem with this.

I was hoping to get around to an ant+ivy build that would give us some
of the benefits of maven but without the issues, but honestly it's
unlikely I'll get to it any time soon.  Real Live (tm) has cut into my
hacking time considerably lately, and I don't see that changing much
over the next 6 months or so.

-garrett

Re: Problem with JAR naming ( was Re: [Announce] Apache Abdera 0.3.0)

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
On 10/23/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com> wrote:

> <philosphizing>The larger picture though is that I work on a dozen or so
> open source projects and I find it insanely difficult to learn new
> builds every time. Maven standardizes all that. So if a project is
> configured correctly I can get it going within a minute. I can do
> releases with just a few commands I already know. As can other people. I
> don't dispute that Ant has its advantages. Its just that on average, it
> doesn't pay for me to use Ant :-)</philosophizing>

same.

> Well how about I whip something up for 0.4 and we can evaluate things
> from there? You never know, you might like it ;-)

+1

Re: Problem with JAR naming ( was Re: [Announce] Apache Abdera 0.3.0)

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.
James M Snell wrote:
> ... must ... resist ... maven ... bashing ... must ... not ... give in
> ... to ... natural ... impulse ...

Haha, I do understand, really I do.

<philosphizing>The larger picture though is that I work on a dozen or so
open source projects and I find it insanely difficult to learn new
builds every time. Maven standardizes all that. So if a project is
configured correctly I can get it going within a minute. I can do
releases with just a few commands I already know. As can other people. I
don't dispute that Ant has its advantages. Its just that on average, it
doesn't pay for me to use Ant :-)</philosophizing>
> ... then again, I'm also not going to have the time to keep serving as
> the release manager and, like Garrett, I don't have the time to change
> the build process.  If someone is willing to do the work and provide
> non-mavenites like myself with proper step-by-step build instructions,
> go for it.

Well how about I whip something up for 0.4 and we can evaluate things
from there? You never know, you might like it ;-)

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
MuleSource

Re: Problem with JAR naming ( was Re: [Announce] Apache Abdera 0.3.0)

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
... must ... resist ... maven ... bashing ... must ... not ... give in
... to ... natural ... impulse ...

... then again, I'm also not going to have the time to keep serving as
the release manager and, like Garrett, I don't have the time to change
the build process.  If someone is willing to do the work and provide
non-mavenites like myself with proper step-by-step build instructions,
go for it.

- James

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.