Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by qcfireball <qc...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/21 20:49:08 UTC

Quick RMI Howto for those in need

1 - install jackrabbit into your app container
note:  you will get some errors in the appserver logfile.  this is due to
the fact that the repository
       is not yet setup.

2 - BEFORE you view the URL
"http://{your-hostname-here}:{your-port-here}/jackrabbit-webapp-1.3/"
edit the following file:
{your-appserver-path}/webapps/jackrabbit-webapp-1.3/WEB-INF/templates/bootstrap.properties
and make sure the following entries have the proper values:

rmi.port={your-rmi-port-here}
rmi.host={your-hostname-here}
repository.home={your/repository/location/here}
repository.name={your.repository.name.here}

some notes on these values:
---------------------------
a) using a port value of zero implies port 1099
b) for repository.home, it seems you can provide a relative path or an
absolute path.  what happened to me was,
i used a value of "jackrabbit/repository".  bacause i used tomcat, and the
start script runs out of the "bin"
directory, my repository is located in
"/opt/tomcat/bin/jackrabbit/repository"

3 - create the following file in the
{your-appserver-path}/webapps/jackrabbit-webapp-1.3/META-INF/context.xml

<Context path="/jackrabbit-webapp-1.3">
   <Resource name="jcr/repository"
             auth="Container"
             type="javax.jcr.Repository"

factory="org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory"

url="//{your-hostname-here}:{your-rmi-port-here}/{your.repository.name.here}"
/>
</Context>

i am not sure if this file is entirely required.  it was mentioned in a post
somewhere.  i used it because i
was having problems, and they seemed to go away after creating this file.

4 - navigate to the URL
http://{your-hostname-here}:{your-port-here}/jackrabbit-webapp-1.3/
this time you will see an "error" saying that your repository is not yet
created.  The message is as follows:

Error while accessing the repository: The repository is not available.
Check the configuration or use the easy setup wizard.

keep in mind, that what you enter in the text box next to:

Repository Home:

must be reflected in the seetings discussed above.  for example, i enetered
"jackrabbit", and it created the
directory i mentioned above.

click the "create" button.

your repository is now setup

5 - you can now connect to your repository.  Make sure you have the
jackrabbit-jcr-rmi-1.3.jar AND
jcr-1.0.jar
in your classpath.  code to connect is something like this:

import javax.jcr.Node;
import javax.jcr.Property;
import javax.jcr.Workspace;
import javax.jcr.nodetype.NodeType;
import javax.jcr.nodetype.NodeTypeManager;
import org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory;
import javax.jcr.Repository;
import javax.jcr.Session;
import javax.jcr.SimpleCredentials;
import org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientNodeTypeManager;

    private static final void quickConnect() {
        final String sServer    = "kelleher-home";
        final String sPort      = "1099";
        final String sRepo      = "jackrabbit.repository";
        final String sUrl       = "//" + sServer + ":" + sPort + "/" +
sRepo;
        final String sWorkspace = "default";

        try {
            final ClientRepositoryFactory factory = new
ClientRepositoryFactory();
            final Repository r = factory.getRepository(sUrl);

            final SimpleCredentials     sc   = new
SimpleCredentials("anonymous", "".toCharArray());
            final Session               sess = r.login(sc, sWorkspace);
            final Workspace             wksp = sess.getWorkspace();
            final NodeTypeManager       ntm  = wksp.getNodeTypeManager();
            final ClientNodeTypeManager cntm = (ClientNodeTypeManager) ntm;
            log("Everything executed without error.");
        } catch (Exception ex) {
            ex.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

I have not, as of yet, been able to get things working thru a firewall.  For
example, I wanted to connect to my repository at home.  This involved going
thru our proxy server at work (which doesn't seem to be a problem, maybe),
and thru my firewall at home.  I am using port forwarding at home.

Re: Quick RMI Howto for those in need

Posted by qcfireball <qc...@yahoo.com>.
ALSO:  refer to this piost for a gotcha:

http://www.nabble.com/jcr-rmi-problems-tf3928960.html#a11143397