Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Wakida, Reid M." <RE...@saic.com> on 2003/11/08 00:12:01 UTC

how to use a group

Version: Jetspeed 1.4
I've searched the mailing list, tutorials, and jetspeed website, but I'm
still confused as to how to use a Group.  From what I understand (please
correct me if I'm wrong):
  1. A group is NOT a group of users but a group of resources/pages.

  2. You define a group psml file in the psml/group/<group name>/...
directory.  This psml contains (or references) portlet sets that pertain to
the group.  An given example was an HR group with portlets of interest to HR
users.

  3.  You can access the group psml file directly through the browser url,
or as a reference from another psml.

What confuses me about groups is:

  1. Regardless of their group associations, as long as the user has the
correct role they can access the group page (via url, or another psml
reference).  If this is correct, then why bother assigning a user to a
group, as no group related security checks seem to be involved when
accessing the page?

  2. How would a user without the admin role (more specifically, the ability
to add a reference when customizing a pane) be able to reference the group
psml?

  3. Likewise, how does an admin modify a user's psml file when they can't
access it due to security restrictions?  Is it something along the lines of
having the user's default security-ref configuration have owner AND admin?

  4. If a new group profile is created, how do I force it appear as a tab to
users?

  5. Am I expecting too much from Jetspeed's default functionality?  i.e.
are these custom features that I'll need to add myself?

Thanks in advance.