Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2003/01/26 05:30:13 UTC

[ANN] Security update: Apache Tomcat 3.3.1a released

Tomcat 3.3.1a has been released to address the following two
vulnerabilities found in Tomcat 3.3.1 and earlier.  This
includes Tomcat 3.2.4 and earlier.

Tomcat 4.0.4, 4.0.6, 4.1.12, 4.1.18, and 4.1.19 have been
checked and do not have these vulnerabilities.

Vulnerability where, when used with JDK 1.3.1 or earlier, a
maliciously crafted request could return a directory listing
even when an index.html, index.jsp, or other welcome file is
present. File contents can be returned as well.  In the case
of Tomcat 3.2.4 and earlier, contents of files under WEB-INF
could be accessed.  If you are using Tomcat 3.3.1 or earlier
with JDK 1.3.1 or earlier, you should either upgrade to JDK 1.4
or later, or upgrade your Tomcat installation to Tomcat 3.3.1a
or a current release of Tomcat 4.

Vulnerability where a malicious web application could read the
contents of some files outside the web application via its web.xml
file in spite of the presence of a security manager. The content
of files that can be read as part of an XML document would be
accessible. If you are running Tomcat 3.3.1 or earlier with a
security manager, and are serving web applications whose web.xml
content is not known to be safe, you should upgrade your Tomcat
installation to 3.3.1a or a current release of Tomcat 4.

You may download Tomcat 3.3.1a binaries and updated jars from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3.1a/bin/

Other Tomcat downloads may be obtained from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi

These vulnerabilities have been fixed in the current Tomcat 3.3.2-dev
files found at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/nightly-3.3.x/

Larry

Re: [4.1.20] Tagging soon ?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
I was planning on doing some research and testing of custom tag pooling options
(as we discussed last week) this week.  It would be nice if the results from
that could get into th 4.1.20 release.  Could be a nice performance improvement
for Jasper2.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [4.1.20] Tagging soon ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
> We should waiit  for 4.1.20....The last 3 versions were broken, and we
> should test it extensively. Unfortunatly, I cannot test it tonigh and
> tomorrow (but latter this the week). We should wait based on experience :-)

Indeed, experience shows we have to be careful with new Xerces releases ;-)

Remy

Re: [4.1.20] Tagging soon ?

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.
We should waiit  for 4.1.20....The last 3 versions were broken, and we
should test it extensively. Unfortunatly, I cannot test it tonigh and
tomorrow (but latter this the week). We should wait based on experience :-)

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: [4.1.20] Tagging soon ?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Re: [4.1.20] Tagging soon ?

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> I plan to port the changes made to JSPC in the Tomcat 5 branch, and (as
> I think fixing the issue is important) tag a new 4.1.20 milestone within
> a few days.
>
> Comments ?

That would be great, but can you please apply the TagLibraryInfoImpl
patch from bug #14302 before you so? Without it, JspC fails for JSP
pages that use tag libraries with the TLD packaged in the JAR file.
This is the same problem as described by bugs #13212 and #14537.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten                                <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>
Gefion Software                       <http://www.gefionsoftware.com/>

[4.1.20] Tagging soon ?

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

 > Speaking of which, I'm missing a registration for the hosts (I don't
> know if it's defined in JSR 77).
> Could we add some custom attributes on the object name for wrapper
> (giving the mapping), as well as the host registration, and still comply
> with the spec (I'd say yes, but ...) ?

Sure. JSR77 is very thin - way too thin.

It doesn't forbid container-specific objects - but leves the naming open.
The only issue - we need to get rid of the Listeners and move the JMX
registration in the core objects.

Costin

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> If the question is about using JMX1.2 - it was alredy proposed, and it
> seems nobody objected ( but nobody did it either ). If you want to do
> that - all you need is update the mbean descriptors, and change all the
> arrays to use the JNI names ( [Ljava.lang.String; instead of
> java.lang.String[] ). And of course - fix download to get jmxri instead
> of mx4j.
>
> When MX4J implements 1.2, we'll switch back.
> I'm using JMXRI1.2 - and so far it works very nice.
>
> Regarding the registration listener: there are 2 issues you need to
> be carefull. First, it would be good if the code is independent of
> the load order - i.e. listen for notifications but also do a query for
> the existing objects. You can do that using JMX query, or by
> using the attributes. After you take care of the existing mappings,
> you can start listening for registration - you can do both with plain
> JMX1.1.

Speaking of which, I'm missing a registration for the hosts (I don't
know if it's defined in JSR 77).
Could we add some custom attributes on the object name for wrapper
(giving the mapping), as well as the host registration, and still comply
with the spec (I'd say yes, but ...) ?

Thanks,
Remy

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> If the question is about using JMX1.2 - it was alredy proposed, and it
>> seems nobody objected ( but nobody did it either ). If you want to do
>> that - all you need is update the mbean descriptors, and change all the
>> arrays to use the JNI names ( [Ljava.lang.String; instead of
>> java.lang.String[] ). And of course - fix download to get jmxri instead
>> of mx4j.
>
> BTW, would it be possible to add a feature in the modeler to autodetec
> the JMX version, and do that transparently ?

The big problem with JMX1.1 is the lack of (declarative) security. That
makes it history - the only reason to support it is the lack of 1.2 support
in the current mx4j.

Costin

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>> BTW - I assume you read the discussion on authorization - the problem
>>> is the same ( mapping requests URIs to constraints ), it would be good
>>> if we can reuse some code.
>>

>> The mapping code is generic. I was thinking about having the mapper do
>> the constraint mappings (as it's the same operation) also.
>
> Oops, I just remembered the mapping rules are not the same (for the
> constraints, it's the first match according to the order defined in
> web.xml).

Yes, don't you love the spec :-) ?

It'll be very fun to watch JSR115 and the Policy - since that's a best
match too ( like all web servers in the world ). Will they break the servlet
spec or the java security spec ? Or both ( and invent their own rules ) ?

Anyway - people who use web servers for authentication are usually aware
and don't mix server auth with servlet auth ( or so I hope... - otherwise
we would have had far more security reports ). Hopefully the Policy based
authorization will be adopted - and the broken servlet authorization
deprecated...

Costin

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>Costin Manolache wrote:
>>
>>>Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>>Cast the notification to MBeanServerNotification :-)
>>
>>Ok, it sort of works now.
>>
>>The remaining problems:
>>- some attributes need to send JMX notifications (welcome files,
>>mappings, etc) so the mapper can be updated
>>- the Host handling is not dynamic
>>- some operations need also be propagated (removal of a component)
>

> What if we simplify this by exposing the mappings, welcome files, etc
> as JMX attributes of context ?

That sounds doable.

> Of course, we won't save the web.xml if someone adds a mapping ( yet :-),
> but you'll only need to listen for context add/remove notifications.

Well, the MBean is never unregistered at the moment, so it's quite
limited ;-)

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>The mapper has a currently unused dependency on JNDI, and I plan to put
>>it in the org.apache.tomcat.util.http.mapper package.
>

> JNDI deps are fine - dependencies on org.apache.naming are not very good
> ( since tomcat can be used in an app that uses a different naming impl ).

Well, I'm still unsure about physical welcome files. On the plus side,
it would be considerably faster to do that in the mapper.

>>How can I listen to registrations with JMX 1.1 ? In 1.2, this is quite
>>obvious, but I think I missed it in 1.1. The static queries are of
>>course similar.
>

> It's the same - register a listener on the MBeanServerDelegate.

I tried that, and get a lot of nice notifications about registration,
but how do I get the ObjectName of the MBean which caused the
notification (the source of the Notification is the server delegate,
which doesn't help). ?

Help :-P

Remy

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

> If the question is about using JMX1.2 - it was alredy proposed, and it
> seems nobody objected ( but nobody did it either ). If you want to do
> that - all you need is update the mbean descriptors, and change all the
> arrays to use the JNI names ( [Ljava.lang.String; instead of
> java.lang.String[] ). And of course - fix download to get jmxri instead
> of mx4j.
>
> When MX4J implements 1.2, we'll switch back.
> I'm using JMXRI1.2 - and so far it works very nice.

Ok.

The new mapper works with my simple test cases and uses some proven (but
basic) sorting algorithms. It appears to be fast, although the algorithm
cost is greater than using a hashtable or a tree. Anyway, it should be a
lot faster than the old mapper (aahhh, zero garbage mapping :-D ), but I
have to wait until I've integrated it with Catalina to know how much.

The mapper has a currently unused dependency on JNDI, and I plan to put
it in the org.apache.tomcat.util.http.mapper package.

I'll use the new fields it introduces to optimize whatever in the
pipeline was not good:
- Checks for /WEB-INF and /META-INF
- B2C conversion for the URI; the encoding will be configurable with an
attribute on the connector (people have been asking for it for some
reason, instead of using UTF-8 :-( ), and will feature a Nasty Cast (TM)
mode for "ISO-8859-1"
- (later) Request dispatcher mapping; I think request dispatching speed
is very important as it is (ab)used by popular frameworks like Struts

> Regarding the registration listener: there are 2 issues you need to
> be carefull. First, it would be good if the code is independent of
> the load order - i.e. listen for notifications but also do a query for
> the existing objects. You can do that using JMX query, or by
> using the attributes. After you take care of the existing mappings,
> you can start listening for registration - you can do both with plain
> JMX1.1.

How can I listen to registrations with JMX 1.1 ? In 1.2, this is quite
obvious, but I think I missed it in 1.1. The static queries are of
course similar.

> I don't know if all the components are registered - we do have the Context
> and Servlet, but you'll need to make sure the Context mbean is exposing the
> mappings. Unfortunately JSR77 ( or other standards I know ) do not define
> any standard attribute that a "WebModule" mbean would use to expose
> supported mappings - so the code will remain dependent of catalina, but
> with less cupling.

That's a problem. Too bad ...

> BTW, I am now able to create Context mbeans and have them registered
> automatically - and I'll try to get the same working for Valves, Connectors
> and JkHandlers. If this is used with an mbean server that supports
> reloading ( like jboss.mx ) - we'll be able to replace modules without
> restarting the VM ( which is pretty cool ).

That's good.

Remy

Re: [5.0] New mapper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

[5.0] New mapper

Re: [ANN] Security update: Apache Tomcat 3.3.1a released

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I'm assuming that this was actually voted on in some list (certainly not
this one).  I'd just like to add my -0 vote (only because a -1 is pointless
now :).  The 3.3 branch needs to have a 3.3.2 release, and IMHO, a 3.3.1a
release is just a waste of time.

Configuration Variables

Posted by Jim Henderson <jg...@metafile.com>.
I can not seem to find this in my books, can someone explain this?

What WAR file web.xml parameter can be used to pass application wide (not
just a single Servlet or JSP) configuration data to JSP/Servlet that also is
adjustable from Tomcat-Administrator control page, and what Java methods
(xxx.getYyyy("parmName")) do I use to access the data given the parameter
name?  I would like to access the parameter from the program at any time,
and not just when the Servlet is loaded (init time).

I wish the O'Reilly book clearly explained the relationships of the Java
accessor methods, the web.xml parameters, and the Tomcat Admin options.  I
seem to have gone round and round with this and now I'm lost.

Thanks!