Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steve Grant <sg...@viant.com> on 2001/01/22 22:19:47 UTC

General Cocoon Question

It seems to me that many content management systems have interfaces that
shield content developers from XSL and XML, and provide intuitive ways to
set content rules and rights etc. Is there something like this for Cocoon?
Am I right in thinking this is a difference between Cocoon and some of these
closed-source,expensive systems?

Re: General Cocoon Question

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Steve Grant (sgrant@viant.com) wrote :
> It seems to me that many content management systems have interfaces that
> shield content developers from XSL and XML, and provide intuitive ways to
> set content rules and rights etc. Is there something like this for Cocoon?
> Am I right in thinking this is a difference between Cocoon and some of these
> closed-source,expensive systems?

Cocoon isn't a CMS as such, but either a publishing framework (C1), or
an application development framework (C2). It is not a CMS as such,
however it would provide a superb framework upon which to build such a
system (particularly Cocoon2). If you are interested in helping to build
such a system, we would all be very happy to help. Feel free to talk
about your ideas, and we'll advise you as to how they can be achieved.

Paul

Re: General Cocoon Question

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Steve Grant wrote:

> It seems to me that many content management systems have interfaces that
> shield content developers from XSL and XML, and provide intuitive ways to
> set content rules and rights etc. Is there something like this for Cocoon?

Look at Prowler.

> Am I right in thinking this is a difference between Cocoon and some of these
> closed-source,expensive systems?

The main differences are that Cocoon is freely programmable and adheres to
all the standards. It doesn't lock you in with a specific vendor and you
can make it do everything you want it to do.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung