Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Grant McPeetie <mc...@hotmail.com> on 2012/10/27 02:30:44 UTC

the presentation program keeps losing my pages

I have used the impress program to produce two presentations for my work as a teacher.  The first time, it ate fifteen pages.  I loaded it on a more powerful machine and I can’t account for three missing pages.  I save my work all the time, even though it autosaves, and I deleted only one page myself.  The thumbnails show the wrong pictures.  If you drag and drop a page that’s out of order, sometimes it just vanishes.  I’ve used a computer since I was in grade school and that was 40 years ago, so I’m confident that its not me, but not completely certain, of course.  Can you help me figure out what is going on – what I’m doing wrong, if its me.  I have used open office forever and I’ve never needed to contact you prior to these problems.  Thank you for your help.  I look forward to you reply.

Sincerely,

Grant McPeetie
House of Jux
Resources for Spiritual Education

Re: the presentation program keeps losing my pages

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Grant McPeetie wrote:
> I have used the impress program to produce two presentations for my
> work as a teacher.  The first time, it ate fifteen pages.  I loaded
> it on a more powerful machine and I can’t account for three missing
> pages.  I save my work all the time, even though it autosaves, and I
> deleted only one page myself.  The thumbnails show the wrong
> pictures.  If you drag and drop a page that’s out of order, sometimes
> it just vanishes. ... I have used open office
> forever and I’ve never needed to contact you prior to these problems.

Hi, this is a very uncommon report: but indeed OpenOffice Impress has a
new slide management functionality; if you installed an old beta, this
functionality was still incomplete there and occasionally it would lead
to instability and crashes, at least on my system. But if you installed
the official version from http://www.openoffice.org/ then it should be
robust and stable as usual.

What you might have missed is that in the "Normal" view there is now a
pop-up interface that allows you to hide a slide (just move the mouse
over a thumbnail); hidden slides are not deleted, but they won't appear
if you run your presentation.

Since it was an upgrade, a common advice we give to people who upgrade
and report problems is to reset their user profile; you just need to
rename a folder, see
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426#p58403 for
more information.

Regards,