Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/19 13:14:57 UTC

Willing to contribute to Apache Mahout

Hi everyone!

I'm Aditya, a senior year Computer Science Undergraduate student studying
at Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India. I am
interesting in working on parallel / distributed algorithm / system design
for data mining. I have done relevant courses like Data Mining, Machine
Learning and Parallel Computing. I have worked on relevant projects using
OpenMP and OpenMPI.

However I have not much experience in working with Apache Hadoop / Spark
etc, but am familiar with the concepts of parallel design and willing to
learn these frameworks if needed.

Please let me know in what aspects I can contribute to Apache Mahout.

Eagerly waiting for your reply

Cheers,
Aditya

Re: Willing to contribute to Apache Mahout

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
PFA my CV

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Aditya, thanks for reaching out and offering to help. The first place to
start is to look at tickets in JIRA to see if there are any open that look
like something you could knock out; sometimes there are documentation tasks
or cleanup work that could be simple to do on your own.

Our JIRA issues are here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/mahout/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel

After that a good next step is to find tasks that look interesting to you
but that you're not sure where to start with. For those you can mail this
dev list with any questions you have for any particular tasks and we will
do our best to help you get started.

You can also get a dev environment set up by cloning our source repo from
https://github.com/apache/mahout and running `mvn clean install` to build
everything.

Have fun and talk to you soon!