Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Darryl Lewis <da...@unsw.edu.au> on 2011/04/16 05:18:49 UTC

Tomcat on a Linux virtual machine

I have an application (commercial) running on a virtual instance of Linux talking to a Postgres database.
We are continually getting locks on the DB that are crashing the app.
I think it's just bad programming on the suppliers side, but the supplier has latched onto the idea that it is because it is running on a virtual machine.
Has any experienced any problems running Tomcat on a virtual machine similar to this?

Re: Tomcat on a Linux virtual machine

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 4/16/11 4:18 AM, Darryl Lewis wrote:
> I have an application (commercial) running on a virtual instance of Linux talking to a Postgres database.
> We are continually getting locks on the DB that are crashing the app.
> I think it's just bad programming on the suppliers side, but the supplier has latched onto the idea that it is because it is running on a virtual machine.
> Has any experienced any problems running Tomcat on a virtual machine similar to this?

Please don't hijack threads.  Start an entirely new email, rather than
editing the subject and body of a reply to existing email thread.

RE: Tomcat on a Linux virtual machine

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i was reading leos post about restarting tomcat with the same username that had read access to the referenced database
the same idea will work for tomcat if you create your VM with same login as PGUSER
password is stored in  .pgpass file if memory serves

hth
Martin Gainty

Posted by Joseph Morgan <jo...@ignitesales.com>.
We're Apache->Tomcat->MySQL all in separate Cent-OS VM's with no
problems.  It wouldn't be Tomcat anyway, right?  One might say that
something is up with the drivers used by the connection pool, but,
that's still not Tomcat, and to be accurate, the driver used by Tomcat
or an app inside Tomcat doesn't know squat about the DB being inside or
outside of a VM.

So, I'd focus entirely on the DB config and its environment.

Do you have a spare machine where you can setup a Tomcat/Postgres pair
outside of a VM?