Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/05/05 19:29:12 UTC

Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers

I tinkered with using Maven to build commons-id. Some success, but the
problems come down to artefact identifiers. I.e. commons logging is passed
as a dependency (in the build.properties file), but the 'Maven jar override'
fails to kick in 'cos the jar id (all) is different from the artefact id
(commons-logging).

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-commons-sandbox/commons-id/index.html

[please forgive the wrap bug] The salient lines are below:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-commons-sandbox/commons-id/gump_file/commons-id+build.properties.html

# Note 'all' not 'commons-logging':
maven.jar.all=/usr/local/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-commons/logging/dist/
commons-logging.jar
maven.jar.api=/usr/local/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-commons/logging/dist/
commons-logging-api.jar

This page shows the problem quite well:

    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/gump_xref/output_id_project.html

So, question. Do we try to rename all jar identifiers to match Maven
artefact identifiers (semi-appealing, if there isn't some gotcha) or do we
add a new attribute 'artefactId' to fullfill this role? Any other
thoughts/ideas?

Please let me know if I've not explain the problem well enough.

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Any input on this folks? Choices:
>
>    <jar id="commons-logging
>
>or:
>
>    <jar id="all" artefactId="commons-logging"
>
>Do we change our id's to be full artefact ids, or add separate?
>
>I think we bite the bullet and change our id's to be artefact ids (changing
>metadata as we need). Any thoughts?

I think changing the ID is better than adding a new

Re: Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 12 May 2004 01:19, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> But each is a separate artefact to Maven, right?

No, not a requirement, only a recommendation.

> Gump is (as Leo would say) not a participant with an opinion, but a
> developer emulator. Gump needs to do what developers do, so how Maven is
> used depends upon the existing projects. Right now it seems that calling
> the 'jar' goal is about right (although it is configurable).

Yes, the goal to be called must be 'settable' in the Gump descriptor, just
like you can set the target in the <ant> element.

> Verses leaving things where they are, and using the jar override properties
> in the build.properties (again in offline mode) as we do?

Yes, the reason would be that according to Brett, all plugins doesn't support
the build.properties you are refer to. It may not be a problem to do what you
are doing, but it may not reflect the reality (incl, that one can access the
pom.dependencies directly in one's maven.xml and do all kind of funky stuff).

Niclas

Re: Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > > Is there a 1:1 mapping of Maven artefacts to <jar>s?
> >
> > I *beleive* so.
>
> Not entirely true...
>
> 1. There may not be any Jar at all, if the project generates something
else.

Ok, a clarification. A 1:1 mapping of Maven jar artefacts to <jar>s.

Again, Stefan might also be correct (Gump has some the Maven doesn't need)
so a 1:1 within that subset is what we are shooting for.

> 2. There may be more than one Jar, if the maven.xml in the project is made
> construct any number of Jars.

But each is a separate artefact to Maven, right?

> There is a big distinction between Maven default behaviour and what can
> actually be done.
>
> I suggest that Gump would follow the Ant model, except that there is not
> necessarily any 'build file', but a 'build dir', in which a Maven goal is
> invoked.

Gump is (as Leo would say) not a participant with an opinion, but a
developer emulator. Gump needs to do what developers do, so how Maven is
used depends upon the existing projects. Right now it seems that calling the
'jar' goal is about right (although it is configurable).

> Regarding the 'dependencies', I suggest that Gump places all the 'builds'
into
> the local repository  "~/.maven/repository", and then just run Maven in
> off-line mode. It shouldn't be necessary to depend on the plugins being
Gump
> aware, IMHO, as Brett was indicating.

Verses leaving things where they are, and using the jar override properties
in the build.properties (again in offline mode) as we do?

If you'd like to review, see:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-gump-test/gump-test-maven1/index.html#Project-level+Files

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-gump-test/gump-test-maven1/gump_work/build_jakarta-gump-test_gump-test-maven1.html

Thanks for all input.

regards,

Adam

Re: Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 21:20, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 May 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:
> > > I think we bite the bullet and change our id's to be artefact ids
> > > (changing metadata as we need). Any thoughts?
> >
> > Is there a 1:1 mapping of Maven artefacts to <jar>s?
>
> I *beleive* so.

Not entirely true...

1. There may not be any Jar at all, if the project generates something else.
2. There may be more than one Jar, if the maven.xml in the project is made to

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> On Mon, 10 May 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:
>
> > I think we bite the bullet and change our id's to be artefact ids
> > (changing metadata as we need). Any thoughts?
>
> Is there a 1:1 mapping of Maven artefacts to <jar>s?

I *beleive* so.

> If so, just go ahead and change the ids - and make sure you patch all
> descriptors that refer to them ;-)

I'll do them one by one, as needed, looking for users as I go & changing. I
found none (in our CVS) for commons-logging.

> I don't think that there is any artefact id for ant-testutil.jar for
> example, but that wouldn't be a problem if nobody used it.

FWIIW: We create an artefact id from the jar, if we've not set the id. So
we'd use ant-testutil. That said, I se your point.

> Are there any cases of Maven artefact ids that don't have a
> corresponding <jar> or where a single artefact is represented by
> multiple jars (Ant's old optional.jar may be such a problem case).

I don't know. Hopefully we'll find out via experience. :)

regards

Adam

Re: Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> I think we bite the bullet and change our id's to be artefact ids
> (changing metadata as we need). Any thoughts?

Is there a 1:1 mapping of Maven artefacts to <jar>s?

If so, just go ahead and change the ids - and make sure you patch all
descriptors that refer to them ;-)

I don't think that there is any artefact id for ant-testutil.jar for
example, but that wouldn't be a problem if nobody used it.

Are there any cases of Maven artefact ids that don't have a
corresponding <jar> or where a single artefact is represented by
multiple jars (Ant's old optional.jar may be such a problem case).

Stefan

Re: Maven/Gump & Artefact/Jar Identifiers