Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by LERBSCHER Jean-Pierre <je...@cofiroute.fr> on 2005/05/19 17:00:47 UTC

RE : Tomcat vs Apache

See comment in message.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Tim Diggins [mailto:subscribed@red56.co.uk]
Envoyé : jeudi 19 mai 2005 13:24
À : Tomcat Users List
Objet : Re: Tomcat vs Apache

(Er, and sorry I just realised I posted __some__ of this as part of a
question on the list last week, but the question I have is now posed
more concretely and wasn't answered then)!

Tim Diggins wrote:
> This has been a great and informative thread... I'm wondering now, how
> to accomplish what I want to do in Tomcat alone, rather than looking for
> a Tomcat+Apache solution (sounds simpler).
>
> The issue is that I want ALL directory-like urls resolved by a
> particular servlet (which is a Spring dispatcher servlet, but never mind
> that), but I would like very few kinds of static files (which I could
> name explictly *.gif, *.png, *.css or put under a static place) served
> statically (ie by the "default" servlet.
>
> The problem is that the url-pattern for a directory-like urls covers all
> urls.
>
> Is there a way to do the reverse of normal, state that you want  a
> particular url-pattern (e.g. "/static/*") to go to the "default servlet"
> , and everything else (e.g. "/*") to go to a particular servlet. If so,
> how do I indicate the "default servlet" in my web.xml?
SRV.11.2 Specification of Mappings
In the web application deployment descriptor, the following syntax is used
to define mappings:
* A string beginning with a '/' character and ending with a '/*' postfix is
used for path mapping.
* A string beginning with a '*.' prefix is used as an extension mapping.
* A string containing only the '/' character indicates the "default" servlet
of the application. In this case the servlet path is the request URI minus
the context pth and the path info is null.
* All other strings are used for exact matches only.