Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Wouter Zorgdrager <zo...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/01 14:30:56 UTC

Re: KafkaProducer with generic (Avro) serialization schema

So, I'm still struggling with this issue. I dived a bit more into the
problem and I'm pretty sure that the problem is that I have to (implicitly)
pass the SchemaFor and RecordTo classes to my serialization schema
(otherwise I can't make it generic). However those class aren't
serializable, but of course I can't annotate them transient nor make it a
lazy val which gives me the current issue.

I hope someone has some leads for me.

Thanks!

Op do 26 apr. 2018 om 23:03 schreef Wouter Zorgdrager <zorgdragerw@gmail.com

Posted by Wouter Zorgdrager <zo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I cannot make FromRecord/ForRecord/SchemaFor serializable,
since those classes are out of my control. I use those from the avro4s
library (https://github.com/sksamuel/avro4s). The problem here, especially
with the deserializer is that I need to convert an Avro 'GenericRecord' to
a Scala case class. Avro is written in Java, so thats a bit problematic and
therefore I need to Avro4s library. Avro4s tries to verify on compile-time
if the generic is actually convertible from/to a generic record, that is
why I need those context bounds.

As for @Aljoscha's workaround, I don't understand how this would solve it?
Because doesn't that just move the problem? If I create a factory, I still
need the generic (with context bounds) I specify at my
KafkaConsumer/Deserialization schema.

@Fabian I'm not sure if I understand your proposal. I still need the
context bounds for those compile-time macro's of Avro4s.

Once again, thanks for your help so far!

Regards,
Wouter

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wouter,

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Piotr is right, the SerializationSchema has to be serializable, which means that the implicit values passed on for SchemaFor[IN], FromRecord[IN], and ToRecord[IN] need to be serializable. Is there no way of making those serializable? As a workaround you could think about having a factory for those types that is serializable and have the factory as the context bound and then lazily create the SchemaFor, FromRecord, and ToRecord from that.

What do you think?

Aljoscha

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,