Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Nirmal Mukhi <nm...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/10/17 19:20:45 UTC

[WSIF] Organizing unit tests

Hello,

As some of us have discussed, WSIF unit tests are extremely useful but
complex to run because of the environment required. The major reason for
the complexity is the number of providers we have and the setup required
for each. One of our long term goals is to modularise WSIF (so a particular
WSIF installation may include any providers that were required, not have to
have all of them). Modularising testing too is a big part of this. So if I
elect to have only java and EJB providers (for example) in my WSIF
installation, the test runner would run only those tests.

Doing this will take some effort. But documenting the testing procedure is
a good start. It would be great especially if we could organize the test
cases into "core" test cases (that exercise the core WSIF API) and test
cases for each provider. Then we can document how to set up an environment
for each set of provider test cases, and write scripts that help you run
them.

Do you agree with this direction?

If so we need to reorganize the test cases first (I'm thinking a clearer
directory structure and a couple of clever scripts should be all that is
required), and write the documentation (which should give step by step
instructions on how to run each set of test cases, and hints to developers
on how to write a test case and add it to an existing set). Volunteers?

I can certainly help since I'm a perfect guinea pig, my runtime environment
is very basic - I just use a JRE with Tomcat as my web server. I don't have
any JMS product and would have to install a free one to test the JMS
provider and SOAP/JMS support. So if somebody (Mark? ;-)) volunteers to
reorganize the tests and start the documentation, I can help verify it is
sufficient, and also assist in the documentation based on my testing
experience.

Nirmal.

Re: [WSIF] Organizing unit tests

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Nirmal Mukhi wrote:

> I can certainly help since I'm a perfect guinea pig, my runtime environment
> is very basic - I just use a JRE with Tomcat as my web server. I don't have
> any JMS product and would have to install a free one to test the JMS
> provider and SOAP/JMS support. So if somebody (Mark? ;-)) volunteers to
> reorganize the tests and start the documentation, I can help verify it is
> sufficient, and also assist in the documentation based on my testing
> experience.

hi,

i can only second this :-) my runtime environment is mostly w2k and linux
and i volunteer to do testing as well (and to work on resolving issues
and to write down all that is necessary  to get tests running ...)

i think the most important is to get to get required JMS setup to work
and to make tests/setup JMS implementation independent as much as possible
and then to document it well.  by default tests could use an open source  JMS impl
such as OpenJMS (http://openjms.sourceforge.net/) or Open3.org
(mentioned in http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/06/19/jms.html
but Open3.org site seems  be down right now and i am not sure if it is still available ...).

using open source JMS implementation would allow us to embed required JAR files
and make running tests less painful - we would still need to write additional documentation
on how to set tests for all other kinds of JMS impls and maybe simplify it by
providing some kind of configuration files for different JMS impls?

thanks,

alek