Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by gregory haley <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2003/06/24 15:27:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Need to run cgi and perl scripts

I have Redhat 9.0 and apache 2.0.4.

I am very newly switched from IIS.

I would like to have a folder (cgi-bin) to put .exe's or .pl's scripts in
for each virtual host. I have the folder made in each virtual host but i am
unfamiliar with what permissions i am supposed to give to the folder or what
i am supposed to do to the folder in order to let the scripts be run.

One of the programs that i am trying to run is soupermail
http://soupermail.sourceforge.net/ maybe there is supposed to be another way
to do this but it says it runs on unix and i used to use it on windows and
it Rawked.

thank you in advance
gregory

Re: [users@httpd] Need to run cgi and perl scripts

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
gregory haley wrote:
> I would like to have a folder (cgi-bin) to put .exe's or .pl's scripts in
> for each virtual host. I have the folder made in each virtual host but i
> am unfamiliar with what permissions i am supposed to give to the folder or
what
> i am supposed to do to the folder in order to let the scripts be run.

First, have you carefully read the docs?
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/cgi.html

What you need to do is to remove the ScriptAlias found in your httpd.conf,
then for each of you vhosts, add this

<Directory /path/to/vhost/docroot/cgi-bin>
    Options ...other-options... ExecCGI
</Directory>

Lookup each directive if you don't know them well.

The actual scripts must be executable by the Apache user. chmod 755 commonly
used.

If it is not working, describe exactly what you have tried and what is
happening.

Regards,
Robert Andersson