Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Nate Marks <np...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/11 13:30:38 UTC

Is this a good way to get started?

I'm trying to get my arms around an ontology management workflow.  I've
been reading the docs on the Apache Jena site  and a couple of books.   I
was hoping to test my understanding of the technology by sharing my current
plan and gathering some feedback.

Thanks in advance if you have the time to comment!

I intend to tightly manage a pretty broad ontology.  Let's say it includes
assets, locations, people and workflows.

I think I want to have a single "schema" file that describes the asset
class hierarchy  and the rules for validating assets based on properties,
disjointness etc.

Then I might have a bunch of other "data" files that enumerate all the
assets using that first "schema"  file.

I'd repeat this structure using a schema file each for locations, people,
workflows.

Having created these files, I think I can  use an assembler file to pull
them into a single model.

Ultimately, I expect to query the data using Fuseki and this is where I get
a little hazy.  I think the assembler can pull the files into a single
memory model, then I can write it to a tdb.

Is that necessary, though?  it's a simple bit of java, but I have the
nagging feeling that there's a shorter path to automatically load/validate
those files for  Fuseki

Is this approach to organizing the files sound?

Re: Is this a good way to get started?

Posted by Nate Marks <np...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

Thank you again for following up. This is great information and opens the
doors to some additional research I need to do as well.

I'm really excited about Jena.    The only thing better than finding great
technology is finding a vibrant and helpful user group.

I'll be back soon and thanks again!

Posted by Rob Walpole <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi again Nate,

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 12/12/14 03:35, Paul Tyson wrote:
> Most of the discussion here is about how to use the jena toolset, less
> so about how to design an RDF application or solve specific application
> problems. You might look atsemantic-web@w3.org  orpublic-lod@w3.org  for
> general discussion of semantic web/linked data applications built with
> RDF.

Those are good places.

I hope that in addition here on users@, discussions are a bit less "wild
west" and that the concrete examples around Jena can facilitate
productive discussions.

	Andy

Re: Is this a good way to get started?

Posted by Nate Marks <np...@gmail.com>.
Paul,
Thank you so much for these comments!  They're helpful and encouraging.
I'm definitely going to check out those resources as well.

Posted by Paul Tyson <ph...@sbcglobal.net>.
Hi Nate,

Posted by Nate Marks <np...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Walpole <ro...@gmail.com>.