Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nigel Sheridan-Smith <wt...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/26 08:54:41 UTC

Bug with OpenJDK on Ubuntu - affects Solr users

Hi all,

This is a bit of a 'heads up'. We have recently come across this bug on
Ubuntu with OpenJDK:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bug/1295987

Basically, finalizers are not being run, so effectively all of the commits
written in SolrIndexWriter are not Garbage Collected.

if you find that your Java heap memory grows continuously at around 4-8Mb
per index update, and you are running this version of OpenJDK, and the
Garbage Collector does not recycle much memory from the "Old Gen"
generation, then this is likely to be your problem.

We increased our heap space from 1Gb to 4Gb but the memory usage continued
to grow at about the same pace. It was only when we ran 'jmap' and analysed
the heap dump with Eclipse MAT that it became obvious that unreferenced
objects were not being correctly Garbage Collected.

i hope this helps someone else!

Cheers,

Nigel Sheridan-Smith

--
e: wtfiwtz@gmail.com
m: +61 403 930 963

Re: Bug with OpenJDK on Ubuntu - affects Solr users

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hi - as far as i know it has never been a good idea to run Lucene on OpenJDK 6
at all. Only either Oracle Java 6 or higher or OpenJDK 7.