Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by rashmy1 <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/03 17:45:30 UTC

HierarchicalFacetField support

Hello,
A few questions regarding hierarchical faceting discussed here:

1. SOLR-64 - Is this available in 4.9? Unable to find the class
'org.apache.solr.schema.HierarchicalFacetField' in Solr 4.9 version.

2. In which Solr version is SOLR-2412 available?

3. What is the difference b/n SOLR-64(strict hierarchical facets) and
SOLR-2412(multipath hierarchical faceting)? From the examples, it appears
that both support multiple paths per document. When would I use one vs the
other?

Thanks!

RE: HierarchicalFacetField support

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
rashmy1 [rashmy24@gmail.com] wrote:
> 1. SOLR-64 - Is this available in 4.9? Unable to find the class
> 'org.apache.solr.schema.HierarchicalFacetField' in Solr 4.9 version.

Solr-64 seems abandoned. Lastest patch is from early 2011 for Solr 3.10.

> 2. In which Solr version is SOLR-2412 available?

Solr 4.6.1.

> 3. What is the difference b/n SOLR-64(strict hierarchical facets) and
> SOLR-2412(multipath hierarchical faceting)? From the examples, it appears
> that both support multiple paths per document. When would I use one vs the
> other?

As the creator of 2412 I am obviously very biased. SOLR-64 uses a special field and (as far as I remember) does use quite a lot of memory and is not very fast for large hierarchies. SOLR-2412 uses existing String/Text fields and has a memory overhead nearly on par with standard Solr fc faceting without DocValues. Neither of them supports distributed faceting.

SOLR-2412 was originally Lucene code for sorting and faceting, before Lucene had it build-in. The hierarchical features was an add-on, that happened to fit very well. Except for the hierarchical capabilities, the code in SOLR-2412 has largely been deprecated by new features in Lucene/Solr (the only other really usable feature in SoLR-2412 is the ability to handle a very large amount (thousands) of String facet fields efficiently). As such, it would be a lot better to create a hierarchical faceting module on top of standard Solr faceting or make a wrapper for Lucene faceting.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark